Making Gas Tank

rock hopper

Guys used to do it to make super longe range tanks for the "Roof". They used to cut polystyrene to the right shape and coat it with f/glass, when finished they used to poor petrol into the tank which dissolved the polystyrene.

I was contemplating a gas tank project for my TY. However, I came across an article on fiberglass gas tank fabrication in a homebuilt airplane site that changed my mind. The basic jist of the article was that standard fiberglass resins do not hold up to gasoline with anti-emissions additives like ethenyl (sp?) etc. On the other hand, the fiberglass tanks for being sold for the TY's through Sammy Miller seem to hold up quite well. I'd do some thorough research on resins before starting.

Yes the old man's responsible for this one, used the original SWM tank as a starting point to make a fibreglass mould from.

Then bent/cut/welded/swore at sheet alloy to fabricate the tank.

Best thing about fibreglass tank covers is no painting required, those blue side panels are just sticky vinyl from the local sign bloke, when your boots wear them you just peel 'em off and stick new ones on. And if you scratch the cover, it's the same colour throughout so still looks good!

post-17-1117661423.jpg

Edited by t-shock 250

Wonder what made you opt for a separate alloy tank rather than making the whole thing out of fibreglass>

Easier to make a tank out of alloy, you can cut and weld and go back and modify if you get it wrong, also stronger and no leaks.

Let's put it another way:

it's easy to make a one off tank from alloy because you don't have to go to the hassle of making two moulds and trying to join them together to hold fuel without leaking and trying to mount it accurately on the frame and getting a petrol tap and cap to fit and stinking of resin for days.

The tank itself is a very simple design which is hidden and i only wanted to make once, can be easily modified and/or repaired and is much stronger and safer the fibreglass.

Bit of a no brainer to me......