Rules

dixie

Well said big John! :wacko: Ive also got the suzuki beamish plus a ossa mar theres no way im going to start modifying these , they look fab plus work well as they are! ok the ossa's a 76 model so not as competitive as the majesty or suzook! but so what i love the bike for the styling plus its great fun to ride!

why ruin the looks, some pre-65 bikes are now so modded they look ugly , IMHO! :wacko:

Twinshocks with disc brakes is running the risk of killing the class!

Sorry John but I hope to upset you - I still want to fit a disk front end to my TLR.

Dont know why there is such a dislike to modifying a twinshock trials bike, fir enough South of the border there are trials especially for twinshock bikes but North of the border you are lucky to get 15 - 20 entries in each round of the TS/P65 championship.

Most of the time twinshocks are riding the same trials and sections as modern bikes.

years ago i had a yam ty250r with front drum brake! this was when bikes with front disc brakes first started coming out, one trial i did included a drop with a very tight turn at the bottom! the drop was so steep that no matter how tight i held the brakes on ( they were well set up by the way) i just could not stop before the turn and collected a five everytime! the new bikes fitted with a disc front end could pull up and make the turn ok.

so back to the present day if people start fitting disc front brakes to there twinshocks its going to be cheating in some circumstances as described above! :wacko:

Wrong Gordon,

Why not just buy a modern bike? It has all the disc brakes, hydraulics and monoshocks you'll ever need!

I don't see why a twinshock bike needs a disc brake when it was not originally fitted. It's not in the spirit of the class. Discs came in after the monoshock, with very few exceptions such as the Dalesman in 1971 and that was experimental!

As for Twinshock Pre-65 in Scotland, Inverness ran a closed to club TS/P65 event at Cannich late last year and had an entry of 15 there alone, you missed out!

When were the first commercially available trials bikes with discs?

No real desire for modern bike - My 'modern' bike is a Golner 250 Honda, this and my TLR is modern enough for me - RTL or CCM was (and still is) trials bike I really wanted but was too expensive and hard to find when I was looking for one.

Wanted a 4stroke and Honda was only choice (P65'sexcepted) in late 90's. Great bikes, reliable when looked after, Jap build quality.

Spanish or Italian trials bikes - dodgy electrics & poor build quality in my opinion.

New era 4strokes are too trick for me - mainly because fuel injection cant be repaired without dealer assistance - the alternative of a Scorpa 125/145/175 feels gutless (lovely light weight though!)

As you know for several years I was usually the only twinshock rider at Inverness trials riding the same sections as everyone else with absolutely no success but still enjoyed 95% of the trials. Only recently has the swing been towards twinshock/P65 friendly trials - this has persuaded me to dig the twinshock TLR out of the garage and start to make it a more user friendly bike - nothing irreversible

I know as you do that even with discs front and back & even with a 30kg lighter TLR I would have no chance of winning anything.

I am still looking for a disc front end - whether I fit this to my Golner TLR or my twinshock I have not decided!

years ago i had a yam ty250r with front drum brake! this was when bikes with front disc brakes first started coming out, one trial i did included a drop with a very tight turn at the bottom! the drop was so steep that no matter how tight i held the brakes on ( they were well set up by the way) i just could not stop before the turn and collected a five everytime! the new bikes fitted with a disc front end could pull up and make the turn ok.

so back to the present day if people start fitting disc front brakes to there twinshocks its going to be cheating in some circumstances as described above! :wacko:

That is the whole point of NOT allowing twinshocks or pre65 bikes to have discs fitted !!

As soon as you fit discs you increase the stopping power so what was really difficult becomes relatively easy.

One guess what then happens to the sections at the next trial?

OK if you use your twinshock or pre65 in the same class as modern bikes then i have no problem with whatever mods you want to fit. But and it's a very significant but. If you ride in a Classic event then NO DISCS should be allowed for the reason stated above.

You have to draw a line somewhere and following on from the advent of the monoshock disc brakes were the next big influence on turning Trials into what they have become.

If thats what you want then i'm with Big John and many others Woodie also comes to mind. Buy a modern bike and ride in modern Trials. Or just use your disc braked twinshock in Modern Trials and not enter Classic ones.

The local clubs in my center dont allow discs and clearly state so in the regs. Saying that they frown on hydraulic clutches too but then again only know of one bike so equiped, a 350 Triumph twin, and he's usually the only entry in his class so i suppose until someone protests then he gets away with it.

I will support anyone who wants to keep twinshock trials bikes as period machines. They were produced by the factories and sold to competitors - those that could afford them - as the latest technology at the time. The worlds best riders were using them, albiet with a little tweeking no doubt, but essentiallly as we bought them. Same as todays trials bikes are available to the public. I bet in thirty years time there wil be a similar debate over 'period' Cabestany Shercos! I personally would not like trials to go the same way as road racing for example where it costs you