Trl200 Reflex Gear Ratio

scooterspal

Question for owners of the TRL 200... what is the gearing you have for your bike? Stock or ??

I'm finding... from my limited newbee experience... the bike seems to run much too fast just puttering around my backyard in 1st gear.

According to an older trials book by a fellow named Perry, the speed should be such that you can walk along side of the bike in 1st gear at idle. I can do that at a pace perhaps 1.5 times faster than normal walking.

I only wish I had someone in my area who could test ride this bike for me and make some recommendations. Unfortunately, trials seems to be a foreign word in the states. So, I'm on my own.

Please give me some suggestions on what to try.

Edited by scooterspal

I'm running 10/52. Usually use 2nd gear for slow stuff. Not sure if 52 sprockets are available but 50 would be fine. Suggest tire pressures of 7f/5r to start. It's going to go faster than you want in slow going just at idle. Learning to control speed with clutch and brakes is part of the process.

I changed my front to 11 tooth. It is still a bit high for real trials riding but I do still ride it on the street a little. This is a great forum, many helpful people so ask your questions here.

I know there used to be a club in NW Connecticut - I think there is still one in Rhode Island.

I checked this morning and I apparently have the OEM 44 tooth on the rear.

As to using a 9 for the front, was there not some issue with that small a sprocket not clearing the drive shaft properly. Perhaps I confusing that with another bike of mine.

Not having much luck locating anything beyond a 48 tooth (Talon in the UK) that will fit the TRL200. Can someone tell me what they're using in a 50 or 52?

Edited by scooterspal

Hi I'm running 10 front 48 rear, you just need a circlip to hold the front sprock on rather than a plate and bolt set up.You also need a spacer behind the sprocket to take some of the 'wobble' out of the floating set up.

was there not some issue with that small a sprocket not clearing the drive shaft properly

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have heard that the small sprocket can allow the chain to rub on the engine case. To eliminate that risk, you can make a spacer to keep the sprocket towards the outside of the shaft. PVC pipe is the simplest. If you want to get fancy, the OEM outer plate for locking the sprocket in place can be made round on the OD and then placed on the inside as a spacer. This will put the force on the splines and not risk rubbing the seal. I think I have two on mine.

• 3 months later...

• 3 weeks later...