What's Your Throttle Response Like?

f1ngerbang

Hi all

After returning to Trials via the twinshock route I bought myself a Gas Gas TXT Pro 250 (2004) - it's in a real nice condition (paid £1150 for it). Question is - when I throtttle up its not real crisp or snappy, its stll good but the response feels just a bit off. Could this simply be a case of strip / clean the carb and clean air filter? Before I bought it the bike it had been standing for a while; I thought it might blow through and clear whilst I was riding but on cleaning it and kicking it over the following day it felt the same. Its not a massive issue but, like all things, I like to try and get it as best as I can. Could the throttle cable stretched out and, if so, can they be dialled back in?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Hello f1, change the fuel and clean carb out first . New fuel makes a big difference . For all you know it could have been there for a year or more . My 280 had been stood for 2 years and ran flat as a witches tit until i did the above .

Hope that is a help to you .

Shy t .

Hi

My gasgas 250 (2006) is a snappy beast that i've tamed so it doesnt sound like the same basic bike.

Things to check:-

• carb setup vs stock
  • Hoofing flywheel weight fitted?
  • Squish clearance (this makes a big difference)
  • Ignition timing
  • Exhaust condition.
  • Reeds condition
  • all the service type stuff (air filter, oil mix ratio, fuel)

Dom

If your bike has a Dellorto installed, do not overlook the possibility of Too Small pilot jet installed. They will run smooth and all, yet have no guts off the bottom.

So if you ard down round 30 way on the size, I would estimate you need to go up to bout 36 on modern(alc) fuels.

No fuel= no power!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your replies.

I gave it a good dose of carb cleaner, cleaned the filter, changed the fuel and did notice a change in the response. I think over time I'll whip the carb off completely, check the reeds, replace the filter etc etc as it stands to reason if simply spraying some cleaner through it made a difference I must be on the right track.

The throttle tube is black - what's the white one all about then?!

Different throttle tubes have different cam profiles where the throttle cable rides on the throttle tube, thus changing how much the carb slide is opened up in relation to the rotation of the throttle tube.

black = slow = twist throttle more to open slide all the way

white = fast = twist throttle less to open slide all the way

alloy = HOLD ON!!! = OH crap my right hand twitched and now I am on my :moon:

Edited by zippy
  • Like 1