Sherco 2.9 2007 Noise Of Engine

spalado

Hi, I had/have the same noise in my 07 Sherco 200. Replaced all top end [piston ok] and checked play as mentioned above. Rattle still there. Replaced crank bearings and seals, rattle still there. It's bean there for the last 12-14 months since the top end work. I read that it could the the two spacers on the piston pin that are used on the 200's, they are free to move between the conrod and the inside of the piston on the piston pin, apparently. I'm due to re ring the piston so I'm checking it all again. Bike goes like a train [for an old trials rider like me], in fact I detuned it in other areas to make more user friendly in the rocks. I'd be interesed in what comes of your question.

Cheers Taff

You are missing something Cope, definitely more noise than there should be

First thing I'd be doing is check every bolt you can get at for tightness especially the bash plate screws, head stay & engine mount bolts as any of these being loose can cause quite a bit of strange noise that can be mistaken for engine noise

That will eliminate external noises at no cost before you need to start looking for issues that may not exist in the motor

You are missing something Cope, definitely more noise than there should be

First thing I'd be doing is check every bolt you can get at for tightness especially the bash plate screws, head stay & engine mount bolts as any of these being loose can cause quite a bit of strange noise that can be mistaken for engine noise

That will eliminate external noises at no cost before you need to start looking for issues that may not exist in the motor

Ring chatter, piston slap, primary gear rattle, clutch chatter and gear rattle all come into play, not to mention other vibrations due to loose stuff.

I hear a lot of that in a lot of this, yet nothing particular standing out! Average rattlebox! Yes, yours is quieter after an overhaul!