Special Tools For Crankshaft Removal

mcman56

Looking at the Evo manual, there are 3 special tools required to get the crankshaft out; primary gear puller, motor shaft puller and special primary tool. The two pullers look not to difficult to make but the special primary tool would be a big challenge. Are these tools really needed or would other methods work? Is that special tool steel?

I can give you a hint how not to do it ;)

I tried to remove the inner clutch case and also didn't have had a special primary tool. As you can see in the pictures this does not work.(I wanted to replace the inner clutch case anyway)

4c1j-4k-b73c.jpg 4c1j-4l-bd4c.jpg

Maybe it would have been better to make the special primary tool out of old clutch plates but it is to late now and i am just going to use an impact wrench.

Edited by peterschnecke

Looks like a proper job for a 3/8 rattle gun to me. Should take them right off. Scribe the nuts and shafts prior to removal so you can take them back to proper position or slightly beyond for proper torque upon reinstallation as they are somewhat torque critical.

I have a 1/2" impact gun and have used it for removing similar things. I have always used a torque wrench for replacement. Are you saying you use the impact gun for installation? How do you avoid over torquing and/ or breaking things?

Edited by mcman56

I have a 1/2" impact gun and have used it for removing similar things. I have always used a torque wrench for replacement. Are you saying you use the impact gun for installation? How do you avoid over torquing and/ or breaking things?

This is why I said a 3/8 gun. However a poor 3/8 gun may not be up to the task. A 1/2 will do, yet great caution should be used while whatching yhe index marks you made CLOSELY! Some guns have poor triggers and controllability.

Use caution and common sense here!

If you leave all of the clutch plates in and pressure plate removed you can apply some load to the plates with your finger

Not enough to use a torque wrench but it will keep the hub from spinning while you hit the nut with an impact gun

You need to be careful about knocking the dogs off transmission gears

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...

The crank gear has a tapered ID and is attached by a bolt to a tapered shaft. There are no location features like a Woodruff Key. This little gizmo worked great. Even at 120 NM, the tool looked fine when done.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0427/

Do you need a tool to take off the primary gear or does it pull off by hand after the bolt in undone?

My bikes a 2007 Rev 3 250

Edited by southwester