I Need A Quick Guide On Changing Fork Seals...

sawtooth

No video I`m afraid. But you may find some info needed here:

http://www.trialspar...a.com/tech.html

-Jan

The process is essentially the same, with minor exceptions, except the Marzocchi forks must be set by oil level and the GasGas forks can be set by volume of oil.

If Sawtooth is not experienced, it's a good idea to have a friend who is experienced stand by to avoid beginner mistakes. We have all started as beginners.

Jon

If Sawtooth is not experienced, it's a good idea to have a friend who is experienced stand by to avoid beginner mistakes. We have all started as beginners.

Jon

I shall translate:

"Sawtooth, this is a perfect excuse to have a friend come over and hang out in the garage/shed and share a few :beer::guinness: and do some "bench racing" and women complaining. And maybe even get the fork seals changed while you're at it."

Yep we all start as beginners, best way to learn is to do it. But also know when it is time to stop and ask for assistance so as to not mess things up.

Good luck, take your time, You have already done fork seals before so you may just need a few reminders of what you're doing.

• Like 1

Yeah thanks I should be able to figure it out, I'm an engineer plus I have done them in tbe past a while ago. Just need to know it theres anything that needs doing that might not be obvious, so far I know that I need to set the oil by measuring the air gap (is this done when the forks are compressed?) And I also know to grease up the seals and install them using some piece of plastic pipe, how much oil will I need? Anything else?

Edited by sawtooth

Yeah thanks I should be able to figure it out, I'm an engineer plus I have done them in tbe past a while ago. Just need to know it theres anything that needs doing that might not be obvious, so far I know that I need to set the oil by measuring the air gap (is this done when the forks are compressed?) And I also know to grease up the seals and install them using some piece of plastic pipe, how much oil will I need? Anything else?

You'll need about 270-290cc's per leg. You'll do fine.

Jon

JSE, and to Sawtooth (op)...

was this covered in one of the videos (cant watch vids from here) on Youtube,

Op, search for user gasgasinfo on youtube, gasgas usa parts dealer and importer created DVD's for us 'mericans, which is our owners' manual and tech source, recently he's put most the the chapters (if not all) up on Youtube, which shows you MANY things you might ever need to do maintenance wise, on the gasgas trials...

The bleeding air from the cartridge is something I know nothing about?

Older bikes this wasn't as known, the cartidges have changed so newer than 08, you (should probably always) pump cartridges a few times while in fork with some oil in...

since we're going to measure the fluid to a set level, the set level assumes that the "dampening" parts have no air in them, when you clean them you should have probably pumped all the cruddy oil out the system.

on my 2010, it took 5 or 10 pumps to feel I got the air out, then you do what they say to do. now on that 04, forks were made by different than now company, or least design was different, seems there is a "add so many cc's" to the tube and your are done, least that is how I always did it when I had my 04-06 pros...