Clutch Drag...

sawtooth

My '04 TXT Pro has clutch drag and its also started to get quite hard to get into neutral (both symptoms are present after the bikes warmed up), I've watched the gasgas video on setting up the clutch lever so thats OK, have also read the long thread on friction plate thicknesses and I don't have any spare plates so can't mix and match. So my two options are switching to ATF, or I read somewhere on here about burning in the clutch so advice needed on both?

I've read mixed views on ATF, some people say its fine and others say it can eat away friction plate fiber?

Also is burning the clucth in recommended? I've heard you park up against a wall, rev the bike and drop the clutch in 3rd gear, that right? I'm assuming the back wheel has to stay locked in order to slip the clucth?

ATF will be fine, it's the fully synthetic that has caused the fibre material to swell and debond from the plates.

Mine drags a bit and feels more progressive and neutral can only be found by using a hand on the shifter.

Clutch burning yes that is how you do it but I've never done this so I can't comment..

Even with my hand its real hard to get neutral, its not an issue of finding it, it just won't go in. I know most trials bikes are a pain to get in but yesterday it was especially bad. Might try ATF next then and find out more about burning the clutch.

The drag is enough that bike will happily ride along by itself with lever pulled in, which means I'm holding it on the brakes in close sections which in turn is causing stalls :-(

Edited by sawtooth

I had the same exact problem on my 03 gasser until Friday...clutch pack was way out of spec...they don’t make the thinner plates for the early gassers anymore so i replaced it with the 06 and newer style clutch pack.$140.00 US...brought everything back to spec..clutch pull is a lot lighter and the clutch drags is almost non-existent. Mine was so bad before I had to work to hold the bike with the clutch in..I saw a video on you tube where instead of burning the clutch he took the pack apart and wet sanded it. ..interesting fix but nothing I was going to gamble with..

As a rider to this , and i did it on my own 280 ,if you fit new plate's , see the clutch thread on the Beta column by Dan Williams .

It's a lot of work but the results speak for them selves . Not every bit would apply to your gasser so have a good read . Personally , i think using ATF is better left for it's hydraulic application , not a bike's gear box .