Sy250 Re-Furb

adamspad5

I though id upload some pics of my tatty 2001 SY before and through the re-furb . I purchased this bike cheap from ebay this summer after my last SY was stolen back in spring. It looked very tatty but sounded sweet and was all I could afford at the time. I have ridden in it in a few events through the summer and now while theres a break in the calendar I thought i'd pull it apart and get it looking a bit nicer and do a bit of routine maintenance at the same time.

Parts changed:

Wheel Bearings F+R

Tyres F+R

Fork Seals

Air Filter

Fitting Gas Gas Pro Side Stand

Many rusty bolts for stainless

I'm still in the process of changing the swing arm bearings, painting the clutch casing, engineering a FLAT bash plate, fitting up LED front scorpa light and renewing the decals to something a bit newer.

post-17623-0-61230000-1379497189_thumb.jpg

post-17623-0-17193700-1379497209_thumb.jpg

post-17623-0-46064000-1379497223_thumb.jpg

post-17623-0-00454500-1379497235_thumb.jpg

post-17623-0-69682600-1379497247_thumb.jpg

post-17623-0-10320700-1379497257_thumb.jpg

post-17623-0-08432300-1379497267_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I appreciate your concerns with the stainless bolts guys, I use a marine grade grease and torque them up as suggested. I've changed for stainless if I've had them available and never had any issues in the past.

Today has been spent replacing the swing arm bearings (I have the number if anybody wants it message me) and seals. Refitting the swing along with shocker and newly painted coil spring. Also finished off my LED headlight, doesn't look much different at the moment but will upload more when its lit.

My decals aren't going to arrive for a few weeks so the plastics will have to wait as I want to use it next weekend and get some practice on it.

photo_3.jpg

Bearings requiring changing

photo_5.jpg

progess !

Ive bought a pretty tatty looking 2004. Underneath i think someone had looked after it but the last owner ran the bearings down on almost everything. Ive replaced the rose joint bearing but have yet to do the swingarm, headstock and wheel bearings. Im told the headstock bearings are a PITA. I also tried to change the rubber bushings on the floating disc but knackered the head on the allen bolt.

If anyone has any part numbers for stuff that i can get cheaper elsewhere, please let me know

Hi Jon0881,

Would be good to see your motor and any upgrades you've done to it ?

Swing arm bearings are HK2030, Seals 26x20x4 (Outer x inner x width). I couldn't find the sleeves available anywhere so they've gone back in for the moment. Decals are on order from Express Signs on ebay, he did advise me there would be a delay as he's pretty busy at the moment.

This is mine (pic from the advert when i bought it). The paint on the plastics and tank is pretty dire, its bubbling and peeling on the tank. A viynl wrap guy saig he could try to cover it with a breathable vinyl but tbh i have more important things to spend the money on this bike. i called up a scorpa importer arround here to order some of the desperate bits like the RJ bearing and found that he had been on this bike. He knew this becuase he fitted an inline thermostat on one of the hoses which was a prototype that he had 6 of at a trials meeting.

Im going to have to get over to Bumpy or somewhere for some proper training and ride a nice example of a trials bike. I briefly had a beta techno which felt heavy to move about on but im sure its 100% technique!

Ive only used the Scorpa a few times, mostly in the woods behind the house but when i do get some spanner time on it i want to;

1. change the headstock bearings. Aparently they need to be pressed out and are a pain.

2. fix the front disc

3. send off the front and rear shock for a service ( the front shock is always hissing out of the top after use...... not sure if thats normal)

4. swing arm bearings

5. new chain and sprockets

6. plastics. decals

On another note, have you found that the clutch on yours is sticky until the engine is warm. On mine, the first gear selection is usually a stall which free's up the clutch or leave it running until its warm and working the lever. Even after that, the operation of the clutch feels quite snappy, on or off if you get what i mean. Maybe im too used to my KTM.

I only really bought the bike to become a more confident enduro rider. Turns out im no good at either and dont really get the saddle time to change that but the time i do have on both bikes i enjoy.

d75c3fb11e1ad12b25d028c780aa405f_zpsbfceb0b0.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

Looks good mate I'm just about to start refurbing mine. Can you pass on any tips parts etc things like bearings bushes, what paint did you use on the engine casings?

swinging arm bearings are listed further up the thread, wheel bearings changed maybe 02 or 03 I think so would have to know what year your bike is. I work for a bodyshop so silver engine casings was just done at the same time a silver car was been painted, The plastics were re-done in Ford Frozen white before stickering. Mine also has slightly different forks to the 02 > models so I used one of the many guides on here to for the early sherco and gassa paoli fork set up.

When I got my bike it had a reg plate on, I did a dvla check and it came back unregistered, at a recent event someone advised me it was from the isle if man. After a quick call to the isle if man post office, they confirmed it was registered over their. I printed a log book application, a notice of export, and attached a cheque for

• 2 months later...

Hi Jon0881,

Would be good to see your motor and any upgrades you've done to it ?

Swing arm bearings are HK2030, Seals 26x20x4 (Outer x inner x width). I couldn't find the sleeves available anywhere so they've gone back in for the moment. Decals are on order from Express Signs on ebay, he did advise me there would be a delay as he's pretty busy at the moment.

Hi Adamspad5,

I'm just about to change my swing arm bearings, I pulled the axle out but still I can't disassemble the swing arm. I have checked the exploded view in Spare parts Manual but it does not help. Am I supposed to press the sleeves out (if they are longer than housing) and in what way?