Does Anybody Know Anything About Cheetahs

bantamjames

]Hi

Looks like a Cheetah frame to me.

Looks like the remains of the chrome plate under that black paint to me.

(Correction) Sorry not chrome plated - they were bright nickel plated.

post-7203-0-39522700-1381247537_thumb.jpg

Edited by sparks2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi James, you have the basics of a good competitive Cheetah there I think. The frame number on mine is on the left side of the headstock. The original tank was indeed a large fibreglass one as shown on the Don Morley pics.

I found my Cheetah on eBay, 7yrs ago now up in East Yorkshire, and with the addition of an SWM tank, a Fantic 200 seat and repositioning the footrests it is now a lovely bike to ride.

Careful changes to the exhaust have also made the engine smooth and controllable. It grips well in mud and turns nicely as standard without any frame mods as mentioned..maybe not as good as the modern James/FB replicas but not far behind..and ts original!

I took it over to Stafford for the trials demo last weekend and really enjoyed riding it again after a couple of seasons on the John Bull DOT and not sure if it isn't as good! PM ne if you need more info.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/106795187@N06/sets/72157638293435765/

Edited by westyfield7

That's a very nice bike Westyfield. Can you tell me tho if it's a later model Cheetah frame? There are similarities to the other Cheetah frames I've seen but there's some distinct differences too. I'm now wondering if there was an early model & a later one.

Hi, my frame is number 157 so it could well be a later one. I must admit that when compared to the other Cheetahs I have seen it is lighter, has special fork yokes and has one or two minor differences. I also had new rims laced to Cub replica hubs which are lighter and also had brackets welded on to relocate sprung footrests as mentioned above.. when I bought it the original pegs were fixed and about two inches higher and further forward.. they still feel high compared to the DOT though.

I have an interesting article from January 1968 where Don Smith tests the Cheetah for Motor Cycle News. Cheetah boss Bob Gollner and frame builder Mick Whitlock took Villiers and Cub engined bikes along and Gordon Adsett a Husqvarna engined one. Ken Heanes was also there so quite a gathering of talent!. Don Smith had just taken on the London area agency for them so he wasn't going to say anything bad about them was he!

The Villiers Cheetah was available either in Chassis form for £85 or complete at £219. Another £30 got you an alloy barrel! I paid about £1100 for mine in 06 but what is it worth today when some are asking £3.5k for an uncompetitive old Greeves? How times have changed!

• Like 1

Hi Westyfield and Bantam James.

My bike was first registered in Nov'68 and has a chassis number 1569. My frame looks similar to James' with the chassis number just about on the centre line of the headstock, 1/3 from the bottom. I have also replaced the rigid footbegs with bolted on plates/folding footpegs which are located about 1/2" forward of the swingarm pivot.

Both wheels and the barrel are REH. Wheels have been laced with flanged alloy rims.

According to the original invoices, this bike cost GBP249, including the barrel.

Perhaps you can help me with some queries:

What are the lengths of the standard forks and shocks?

Has anyone seen a sidestand fitted on the Cheetah bikes? If so, what does it look like?

Thanks

David

I will ask my father, and show him the pics to see if he can shed any light on this/these Cheetahs.

He was one of the original 'works' riders for the Cheetah project back in the 60's.

Id personally love to reunite him with his old bike if anyone has any info on it??

Will try and dig out the registration mark and post it.

I will ask my father, and show him the pics to see if he can shed any light on this/these Cheetahs.

He was one of the original 'works' riders for the Cheetah project back in the 60's.

That'd be great thanks.

Apart from the diff triples already noted, the one of westyfield's seems to have a much steeper backbone tube where it rises from the swingarm pivot & much steeper steering head than other Cheetahs. Wheelbase also looks shorter.

Gorgeous looking bike

Hi, it is a Cheetah but obviously since it was built over 40 years ago time and various owners have made a few changes to it, it appears to have been adapted for road or green lane use but does look to be original in all main areas.

The cylinder and head are Greeves Challenger type, they could have come from an Anglian trials model or a TFS but the porting was all similar anyway so it probably makes little difference.

Wheel hubs are British Hub originals, front reasonably light, rear a bit heavy because of the cush drive but good brakes at each end.

Original finish was nickel plate which can be redone.

If you intend riding it consider fitting electronic ignition as well as a good Amal concentric carb.

A friend has several Cheetah bikes including the ultra rare Villiers engine model with the disc front brake.

Hmmm, do tell us more about the disc brake one, as this what my father used to ride for the Cheetah team in 1967/8.

Cheers.

I will ask my friend he may come on TC himself with the info, it is a very standard 1967/68ish Cheetah with the REH forks, yokes & REH cable disc brake.

Cylinder & head are also REH made and are round with a centre exhaust port. This feature is very odd considering virtually all the bikes of the time had a single frame down tube which would be in front of the port.

Sprite had twin tubes but these were closely spaced.

The Cheetah frame is probably similar in dimension to the Greeves Anglian so not really a compact bike.

One of the neatest frame kit bikes was possibly the Higham Firefly built by or for John Lee, I have only ever seen one of these when it was ridden in a local trial a year or so ago.

Edited by trialsrfun