Jotagas 2014 Mods

shercoben12

Sherco ,

The mods ive done to my 14 are the same i did to the my 13 bike . Grind off the steering stops to give you an even greater turning circle , but you wont need this if you can hop easily. Wire on the plastic radiator shroud as they can fall off during a good ride. Grind the chain arm tensioner thinner to half its width as with the tyre of running a very low psi it can rub on the arm - only for fussy gits. Ive fitted higher Jitsie bars as well ,making it more upright. Loctite the 3 kick start bolts(do this).Put clear fablon type covering on the frame on each side at boot level to stop anodising rubbing off eventually in mud trials or get some pukka frame guards. I didnt covering this anodising on my last one , but wished i did afterwards

There are more details and photo of the mods to the JTG on my hobby site

http://www.retrotrials.com/the-jotagas-diary.html

• Like 1

Chris was happy initially with the bars but we may go for Renthal ones later. Haven't noticed the Tensioner but we do run at 4 PSI in Yorkshire so I will have to see what happens. I'll have to look at the Radiator guard and see where the problem is. It hasn't done anything yet. I have put some transparent covering on the exhaust where the foot part is as it marks the aluminium bit but that happened on the Gas Gas as well. As for frame guards I may well use some if they are around. We have a Kehin so that has gone on and it "improves" the power output. We also use the Domino dual compound red/black grips with the wire grooves and wire them tight.

Tried PM ing you GG249UK but it seems you cannot receive messages.

Edited by telecat
  • Like 1

Telecat , ive deleted some messages so perhaps it'll work now.

The steering lock was improved massively by cutting the stops off. It means a huge difference in the sections and it was a no brainer for me on the 2nd bike. The only side effect is that when you turn right on full lock you touch the clutch cable - but so what , it doesnt do anything to it , it just touches it. It doesnt make any difference to the clutch action.

Im fairly sure Sherco that the standard lock on Jotagas is about the same as a Gasser. There isnt a lot in it.

Telecat - my guard feel off at a trial and some nice guy brought it back to me - but i was lucky.It fell off again as well. They hang in there with only a plastic notch holding them on. With the heat and the weight of the muck - they fall off. You can route a hidden wire on one side only so that you can pivot it off to clean the radiator.

Im riding my 14 tomorrow for the 2nd time . Ive fitted a slow action throttle tube to it. The power of the 14 is up on the 13 by quite a bit.

• 1 month later...

Steve with his family and JTG's and Jason Finn came along to the first trial at Butser Limeworks in 20 years. The land owner has reopened the venue to a small number of clubs. It an awesome bit of land .

Steve and Jason cut the tape to 95 riders.

This was the venue of the 1988 World Trial that Steve won and he recons was one of his best rides ever.

There was more land available that ever before and Steve was there on his Jotagas , as youd expect. Ive seen Jordi Tarres ride recently and he rides in a style youd expect. Superbly , but in the style i expected.

Steves riding was different from the other riders there on Sunday. I know he has a reputation for grip , but this was inspiring. The guy just doesnt open the throttle. Rider "A" will go up the hill and youll get the usual barp barp barp. Steve goes up the hill and you hear pretty much nothing. Its quite surprising and very noticable. He just seems to run everywhere on minimum throttle with no spin as the bike isnt getting any petrol :)

Steve's bike isnt modded at all, its just the way he rides it.

Little James Saunders rides real well on his JTG 250 as well and beats plenty of the adult riders.

Jason Finn was pulling amazing tricks up and down the hills and riding many expert sections. He is more of a barp barp barp guy , but he still gets up all the hills. He was also in the bushes discovering the over grown 1988 sections he watched as a 20 year old

SSDT winner Sam Conner won. Steve and Jason were just riding for fun.

Anyway, it was a good day. We were expecting the 125 JTG but its on the next load in.

PC012058f_zpsfceb5cf7.jpg

Thanks to Anne Machinek for the photo below :)

securedownload1_zps3eb37095.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Now Switched to Dexron ATF in the Gearbox. Clutch was "slipping" too much with the Standard Gear Oil. Steve uses it in his bikes so we are going that way. Make sure the Mineral Oil in the Bar reservoir is topped off. Too little and the bite point moves. We haver the Frame guard and Exhaust plastics. Brake side needs cutting to fit as does the Exhaust guard where the exhaust is too close to the bash plate on the Kick start side. Kehin settings are a pain. We are using the standard settings from Steve but Andy at Pennine did a great job sorting them out although it is still a bit rich on Pilot.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

New this week. Clutch now has the "big" AJP reservoir Bit more feel. Clutch sorted too much oil and it "rocked" a bit. Sorted by Andy at Pennine. New Kehin Sorced and going on when the new slide arrives. Running pretty well though Going out this weekend to get some competitive time on the bike.

well after 2 months - 3 times the rear brake has failed after 1 trial each!!! missed loads of trials because of it. rad gaurd fell of 1st ride. it rattles. white coatimg coming of the mc's tyre rubs... rides alright though would of expected it to not fall apart or rattle

well after 2 months - 3 times the rear brake has failed after 1 trial each!!! missed loads of trials because of it. rad gaurd fell of 1st ride. it rattles. white coatimg coming of the mc's tyre rubs... rides alright though would of expected it to not fall apart or rattle

Im sorry to hear your having these problems. The read guard def needs wiring on and the rear tyre rubs on the chain tensioner on anything less than 3psi , but you can mod it yourself in one hour. Espania run at 4psi+ so they don't have this problem.Im told the factory have been asked to sort it .

I've never heard off the engines rattling at all. Does it sound like rings or what?

I've got a mate whose had rear brake problems . It was always seals in the master cylinder. It's such a pain though , especially in a new bike.

I love mine so much as I haven't had the problems you have but can understand you frustration. Good luck :) . I'm sure Steve will help out

Maybe get the Whole Cylinder changed? We are keeping an eye on the "new" Braketec kit as I have heard of problems on other bikes. As for a rattle. The Clutch is noisy when in neutral but it's the same clutch as a Gasser and makes a similar noise so haven't worried about it especially as Chris runs the idle pretty low.

Edited by telecat

On the Piston rattle get it back to the dealer or Steve. He'll be in Yorkshire Friday/Saturday so if don't leave it too late. Time to look at the caliper maybe. I have heard of other makes with Braketec problems so it isn't just Jotagas. Maybe an Older version of the cylinder might help. As for the Guard I have used Tie wraps around the bottom of the guard. Seems to hold it. That is also a problem with Montesa's i gather. Seems to be a few of them without them at least.

On the Piston rattle get it back to the dealer or Steve. He'll be in Yorkshire Friday/Saturday so if don't leave it too late. Time to look at the caliper maybe. I have heard of other makes with Braketec problems so it isn't just Jotagas. Maybe an Older version of the cylinder might help. As for the Guard I have used Tie wraps around the bottom of the guard. Seems to hold it. That is also a problem with Montesa's i gather. Seems to be a few of them without them at least.

Tele your spot on with all of that . If you wire the rad guard on , you can pass the wire behind the frame so it doesnt spoil the lines of the frame. Oh so vain ha ha