Boot Quality

dadof2

Dougies foot injury in the Scott and a similar injury to another rider I know got me thinking.

More years ago than I care to admit I hit a boulder hidden in bracken on the Scott. Really hurt my foot, bent the gearlever and footrest. Although my foot went numb I was able to finish, no bones broken and no nails ripped off.

I was wearing two pairs of thick socks and old fashioned boots which were much thicker (black) leather than the modern ones. Had I been wearing modern boots which have very thin leather i am sure my foot would have been much worse.

Why are not thick leather boots available, preferably with plastic or steel protection for the front of the foot.

If it was done properly they could be safety rated and probably VAT exempt - a considerable £ saving

In my early days I wore leather boots but still suffered a twisted ankle on a cross-country link between sections, in the mid seventies the reinforced steel toe capped wellies came out which were amazing - dry protected feet. But then fashion dictated a change back to leather boots, which are now light and soft and offer less protection. Therefore as Lineaway and Guys have commented, I went for a pair of Alpinestars motocross boots and definitely like the extra protection given by the inner boot.

Edited by pro sport

I recently bought my son a pair of Thor Blitz ATV boots.

3 buckles, firm, but not too stiff (he is comfortable walking around in them) and with a treaded sole that resembles a Vibram hiking boot sole.

They were about $130 (less than half my Novogars) and I would definitely consider a pair for myself.

The thick boots I referred to in my first post were alpinestars. I had 2 pairs but when i came to buy a third I found the quality had fallen and the leather was much thinner.

My MX boots are alpinestar and they are OK but the soles tend to come off. No use for trials, far too stiff and no grip soles.

My current trials boots are Gaerne. They are OK but the clips tend to come undone, the plastic bits make them rigid in the wrong places and the leather is thinner than I would like - but thicker than many others I looked at. Safety wellies are OK but provide very little protection in some areas.

• 2 months later...

I wear gaernes and I have never had any problems apart from I have seen people with the sole falling off and scuffing easily I have never hit my foot very hard but when I have ht tithe gaernes have protected me well. Before gaernes I had diadora mx boots which were very protective

• 4 weeks later...