Can't Kick My Sherco 250 Over

toetoe

Hi guy's, i'v done a search first but can't find anything to help me, iv had a second hand 1999-2000 250 sherco and when i went to pick it up, the previous owner kicked it over and it started after about 4 kick's but that was from cold and i think it's stud for a bit, i got it home and i tried to start it but couldn't, now then, i had cancer a few years ago and since then i have not been very fit, i'm basically out of shape and so i do put it down to my fitness and technique and after about 10 mins i did start to get the feel for it, every bike is a little bit different but just wondering is their something i'm not getting right, like have i give it to much choke and flooded it or should i keep the choke on and not worry about flooding it, basically if their is anything you can advise me i would be grateful, also i thought about bumping it, just to get it running, is it possible to bump it or will i just be wasting my time trying, i would contact the previous owner but he is on shifts and i don't want to bother him at work but i will have to if i don't have any luck tomorrow, thanks guy's.

reagards

Tony

Hi If your bike has stood for a while, you need to clean out the carb and air filter, flush out the tank, put in new premix petrol and I would fit a new plug too.

The bike should start easily with two or three kicks, from cold with choke on and hot, no choke.

Do this and watch the video link above and you should have no problem.

Don't make it hard for yourself by just kicking it hoping it will start. Once sorted use the bike to gain some fitness and most important have FUN !!

Been there done it, and it's worth it mate.

TLTEL

Hi,

I had a Sherco same year as yours, and had a similar problem with starting when I first got it.

When lifting the choke lever to start from cold, I had to push the lever as high as I could ,wedging it between the frame and tank.

It worked for me every time.

Hi,

I had a Sherco same year as yours, and had a similar problem with starting when I first got it.

When lifting the choke lever to start from cold, I had to push the lever as high as I could ,wedging it between the frame and tank.

It worked for me every time.

i think you are going to like this, i saw the c on what i thought was the choke and i have only been turning my petrol off, c for close, you have got to giggle, just imagine me going at it with no petrol getting through, so any way to save any more embarrassment, where is the choke.

• Like 1

youre a brave man, owning up to that!!!!

The choke is a plastic lever, usually just behind and below the fuel tap, left side of bike.(I am comparing to gas gas)

Lift lever for on, it should point straight up, flip it down when it starts. If Its really cold you might want to leave it on for a bit or hold it half way till engine sounds happy.

Hopefully you will get it running, but would still advise the clean out if it has been standing. Fuel oil mix does some strange things as it evaporates.

TLTEL

youre a brave man, owning up to that!!!!

The choke is a plastic lever, usually just behind and below the fuel tap, left side of bike.(I am comparing to gas gas)

Lift lever for on, it should point straight up, flip it down when it starts. If Its really cold you might want to leave it on for a bit or hold it half way till engine sounds happy.

Hopefully you will get it running, but would still advise the clean out if it has been standing. Fuel oil mix does some strange things as it evaporates.

TLTEL

thanks i stand a better chance now but like you say, it would still be best to give it a good clean out, really thrilled with the bike and it has been well looked after.

regards

Tony

All that, a good prop, stand or bucket you can set the skidplate upon for the first start of the day so you are stable and gan get up over the lever with your weight.. I may still go 3,4,5 kicks if cold weather, and if neer freezing they may be even more difficult. Many will lay the bike on its side totally for a second so the carb will spill some fuel internally for a prime. Others will enlarge the choke jet a bit to help.

Just tricks, but insuring the clutch plates are not stuck together is a big deal, as it can catch you off when going into gear and you wind up in the neighbors back yard!

i was given a wooden box to sit the bike on so this morning i put the choke full on, put it in fourth gear, pulled the clutch in and rolled the bike forwards and backwards a few times then lifted the bike onto the box, got myself in to a comfortable position and give it a good kick and brum brum, first go, i couldn't believe it, i ran it for a few minuets and then took it out for a bit of a run, after that first time i could start it from just standing on the ground without the box and no choke, i had no idea how powerful trials bikes are now, i would say that this sherco 250 as more power than my bultaco 350 from years ago and this morning i tried first then let the clutch out slowly and it was off so i tried second and it was very much the same, to tame it down a bit i kept it in third and just road on the flat because it all seems strange at the moment, i'v got to get used to the bike before i push it a bit, at the moment i can do about 40 minuets and everything starts to hurt so i will have to build it up gradually but i am really happy with the bike and glad that i chose a trials bike to get fit with, thanks everyone for the help.

• Like 1

I recall when I picked up my "01 2.9! It was fairly wicked for me to ride. There was a sweet 2000 model 250 that came up for sale and I almost traded bikes. It was soo gentle! Had an "05 250 and it was wicked quick!, much like the earlier 2.9 so not a lot of difference.

All takes some adjustment as compared to the old pokers. I still ride up a gear and find traction with the clutch to smooth things. Revs do not matter, apply is with clutch! Still takes a lot of practice, but a good clutch is your bailout tool and friend.