Fork Springs

scot taco

I am in need of fork springs for my 199a.I have read that the Magical fork springs work well,but would have to do more checking to see where to get them here in the states.I have also read about longer fork springs from Inmotion.What is the reason for the longer springs over stock and are they a better or as good an option as the magicals?

I have Inmotion fork springs in my Sherpa and the improvement was unbelievable, they are a bit longer but it just means you don`t have to preload them anywhere as much. I now only have the standard alloy preload spacer in there and it is great. I weigh 85 odd kilos. I can`t comment on the Magicals springs but I think they are supposed to be a progressive rate spring which should be better. Graham.

• Like 1

Hi Scot Taco

I was thinking about getting the Magical fork springs and adjusters for my 199A but the website in the uk went off line and stayed off line, every one seems to be happy thats fitted them to there bikes they are a progressive spring

i went to look around a twin shock bike shop and they had a set of HFS trial expert suspension kit its a replacement for the standard springs, the kit came with a manual and looked well made to me so i ordered a set for my bike, they have 3 kits that they make to fit bultacos.

BR

Edited by bultacorock

Yes the HFS suspension works fantastic, I have this system installed to one of the bikes, ( the 'older' with two cartridges). And my Bul have the Magical springs with adjustable spacer, this works also very well in combination with the fork oil they sell.

Both are an improvement to the standard spring. If you too replace the double fork seal against a modern single one it really transform the fork, keeps the front wheel better to the ground and 'in line' on bumpy ground. Also helpful in thigh curves at least I think so as the front wheel does not push so much outwards now...

The HFS system has more possibilities to adjust and the fork can soak up even smallest bumps. But it took a while for me to find the right pressure.

Edited by pschrauber
  • Like 2

Thanks again for all of the input.The HFS looks pretty sweet,but I can,t justify the cost of them for how much I get to ride and compete.The way it sits,anything new would probably be a big improvement as the springs that are in it sag quite a lot just on it,s own weight.It feels like there is maybe 3" of travel when I,m riding it.

I didn,t get to ride much this year due to a knee and back injury at work.A few weekends ago was the first time I rode it and my TY250A in the yard all year.I felt more confident on the TY and I think some of that is because the Bul just isn,t set up yet for me.

Thanks again for all of the input.The HFS looks pretty sweet,but I can,t justify the cost of them for how much I get to ride and compete.The way it sits,anything new would probably be a big improvement as the springs that are in it sag quite a lot just on it,s own weight.It feels like there is maybe 3" of travel when I,m riding it.

I didn,t get to ride much this year due to a knee and back injury at work.A few weekends ago was the first time I rode it and my TY250A in the yard all year.I felt more confident on the TY and I think some of that is because the Bul just isn,t set up yet for me.

I got the magical springs and single seals (with modern dust seal, not the original Bultaco one) and it is a big improvement. The magical springs seem to allow a decent amount of sag but dont top out which the original type (but new) springs I had did - this was a bit annoying and offputting on climbs...

I like the magical adjustable pre-load adjuster system, but couldnt justify the cost - you can achieve the same thing by making up some spacers of varying thickness (billetparts.co.uk also sell spacers at low cost) - how often do you change the pre-load when you're happy with them anyway?..

The magicals UK site seems to have been down for some time, so I'm not sure where/if UK customers could buy from. Maybe you guys in the US have an outlet?

• Like 1