Montesa 315 Engine Rebuild Cost?

betarich

Hi everyone I'm beginning to wish I hadn't bought this montesa now, I've just rebuilt the carb after the animal that owned it previous had bodged just about everything, it now runs sweet but the engine sounds terrible, I've removed the flywheel cover and there is play in the main bearings.

Can anyone give me any rough Gide line on what these engines cost to rebuild? I'm an engine reconditioned so the labour isn't an issue I've never bought 2 stroke engine parts before.

And are the engine parts available, bearings gaskets piston kit etc

Where's the best place to get the parts?

Edited by betarich

ive pulled the cylinder off and the coating is flaking in places, ill add some pics. the piston is showing signs of seizure at some point, these have recently been rubbed up by the previous owner. i think the guy new what he was selling as the engine was full of dirty 4 stroke engine oil, to reduce the knocking. WHAT A COCK

E02E1B9C-399E-44F0-80E4-1DA262117096_zpsmlxywrwo.jpg

BF9E089A-A01A-45EB-B24A-F2D3B30B56B0_zpst4nvwzo8.jpg

2A031696-B53C-4DD3-8D1F-3922094DCCAE_zpsi350ag7a.jpg

AEB6E568-6E12-4A0E-B815-0365FA7D1503_zpsfvofd6nr.jpg

3D25E38D-9885-4096-8C0C-A85B87A8CE81_zps6f3su4tk.jpg

the description of the bike reads, the pictures are taken today 2 days after purchase. ive been stung. but i guess not everyone is genuine, if anyone does have any engine parts for sale please PM me.

2002 Montesa 315 R 250cc Trials Bike.

I have owned this bike for 2 years and its been used a handful of times due to my working commitments, hence my reason for sale.

It is ready to ride and needs nothing doing to use it. Any inspection welcome.

Forks are in good order , no leaks.

Engine starts up and runs nice.

Chain & sprockets are good.

Tyres are like new.

Brakes are good.

In very good condition for the nature of the sport but the bike does have some minor wear & tear,as to be expected.

Bike is also road registered and I have the V5 Logbook as proof of ownership.

Please call Craig on ***********, or email me at craig*******@*******.co.uk with any questions, or to arrange a viewing.

£1200, O.N.O

Bike cannot be delivered.

Cash on Collection ONLY

hes denying all knowledge and said it was a good bike when he sold it to me, but i agree he knows it was shot, you can see the piston has been tampered with and how else would a litre of 4stroke engine oil get into the crank case.

this is a vid of the main bearings before i stripped the engine

i totally agree, ive spoken to the gut via text i havnt complained about the other bodges on the bike or that the jets were loose in the carb, i basically want the full cost of parts or at least some contribution and ive said i will build the motor myself to save a little, but hes basically said no. im trying to reason with the guy but hes just not interested in the slightest.

sorry but he has bodged this bike up to sell,your not going to get any money back.so bite the bullet and get on with it.we have all bought bikes we wish we had not.as its a private sale there is no come back.pity about piston,if it was only main bearings it would only cost £25 to repair.and few hours of labour.

Sometimes these things happen. I bought my Sherco off a mate and after a month a main bearing let go and part of the bearing cage got into the cylinder and scored the barrel similar to yours. He felt dreadful and gave me a small sum back but I wouldn't accept anymore as he sold it to me in good faith. Sometimes these things happen, but I suspect in your case the seller probably knew...

Moving on, I see two options. You either break the bike and sell spares, I'd have thought you probably get 3/4 of you rmoney back at a guess but a pain in the back side or you repair it. If I was going to repair it I'd be asking the following question, whats the rest of the bike like? Things like head bearings, linkage bearings, brakes etc? The 315 is a good bike and I would possibly do the repair, its going to cost you the best part of £500 if you do it yourself but then you will know its all done and pukka whereas you could scrap it and buy another "cheapie" and end up with the same problem as, lets face it the bike is getting on a bit.

Parts like gaskets, bearings, even pistons and fairly cheap but the main cost will be getting the barrel re-plated. It'll be Nicosil plate and the company in the UK who does that is Langcourts. When I had my Sherco barrel done I sent it off to Splat Shop and they were fantastic and sent barrel away to Langcourts for me and was then sent back with correct piston and all the parts I need to rebuild. I would give them a call to see if they could do this for your Montesa. With this service you will lose the barrel for about 3 weeks, this gave me plenty of time to total strip my bike, clean & grease everything etc.

I think once you get it back together you'd have a solid bike for a good few years. The bottom line is you could buy a 08 , 09 , 10 year bike and have the same issue in a year or sooner...

Hope this helps!

• Like 2