250 Txt Pro 07 Not Running Right?

lee101

Hi again.

Just a slight issue which is probably a simple fix but would like some input.

Done a trial today ad basically the bike seemed to be under powered.

Underpowered as in, say I'm in third gear, the revs didn't seem to last long enough.

You know when you get that raspy sound when you reach the top end of the gear?

I mainly noticed it when riding between sections on a long flat , opening the throttle open.

Also have noticed it doing steep hill climbs that it will start to make a raspy noise. A bit like the noise when your engine is not quite warm enough, although it has been running and is warm.

Only thing I need to add is that my sprocket and chain is worn. I knew about this before the trial and have bought a new front and rear sprocket and chain to go on. 41t on the back and 10t on te front.

Wondered if it was my air screw or something simple?

Cheers, Lee.

Hi again.

Just a slight issue which is probably a simple fix but would like some input.

Done a trial today ad basically the bike seemed to be under powered.

Underpowered as in, say I'm in third gear, the revs didn't seem to last long enough.

You know when you get that raspy sound when you reach the top end of the gear?

I mainly noticed it when riding between sections on a long flat , opening the throttle open.

Also have noticed it doing steep hill climbs that it will start to make a raspy noise. A bit like the noise when your engine is not quite warm enough, although it has been running and is warm.

Only thing I need to add is that my sprocket and chain is worn. I knew about this before the trial and have bought a new front and rear sprocket and chain to go on. 41t on the back and 10t on te front.

Wondered if it was my air screw or something simple?

Cheers, Lee.

It's not the fuel screw, Lee. What main jet are you running? Are these top gear runs and how long at wide open throttle?

Jon

Air filter is cleaned after every ride and is a new one. I'm not one of these who throws it in the shed for a week before riding again.

Will check the plug and clean out the carb.

It's not wide open, just a tootle with consistent throttle alon flat straights, 4th gear seemed fine but third seemed to run out.

Was very wet and boggy so could of been spinning up a bit I suppose.

So, I messed with the air screw, cleaned out the carb and still is frappy at top end of the gears.

Have let the bike warm up fully but it still does it.

Fuel flow is good, tank is clean.

Any ideas?

Havnt changed the plug yet but didn't know how much of a difference that would make.

Cheers, Lee.

Look in the very end of your exhaust system where the exhaust exits the pipe. You may need a flashlight (torch) to see down the hole. My buddy's TXT Pro has a spark arrestor screen that fits inside there. I think it came as original equipment on the bike. There was one or two screws in from the side to hold it in place. His bike started running very badly so we removed the screen and cleaned it. It was so clogged with black carbon that the holes were almost completely covered. We cleaned it with solvent and a wire brush (handheld) and reinstalled. He said it was like a new bike after.

I hope this helps.

You also might want to check the screen in your spark arrestor/silencer as well

What do you mean by that mate?

Don't quite understand what part you are on about.

Because U use the word 'mate', I'm guessing your from the UK, or at least not from the US.

Spark arrestors are mainly used in the US...

JSE said it already, and I say it again, not much Above 2/3 throttle, the only adjustment to how "clean" the bike revs, is done with correct Jets...

this is assuming timing, spark and all that are right. Broken or half broken key on flywheel can make bikes run like crap at different RPMS, I had a plug go bad in a 200 pro, that would not rev above 1/3 throttle but run and idle all day long, as soon as you tried to lift front wheel with throttle it would almost die, throwing me over the bars, lol.

What it sounds to me like is he has too big of a jet... jets are changed when you change altitudes at which you ride. as you increase altitude, you go with smaller jets.

Now Can't tell you for positive which JET exactly, but as you approach WIDE OPEN throttle, the engines run more and more on JET SETTING, everthing else we adjust for idle, tickover and response off idle...

So, it seems to me that would be a main jet, which is too big (letting more fuel) which is causing a RICH mixture, which makes the bike "blubber" instead of wind up "clean crisp" sounding exhaust note...

JSE might correct me...

Hi sting, thanks for the reply and info.

Luckily I have sorted the problem now, I ran some gas through the jets to remove any water or crap in them that wasnt visible.

Rode today and ran crisp.

I guess the smallest things sometimes make the biggest problems.

Thanks anyway guys for your replys, much appreciated.