Whose C15T Was This?

laird387

Hi,

Looking through my archive I found this fascinating image of a C15T modified to use a BTH competition magneto.

Trouble is, my Alzheimers is playing me up and I can't remember where the picture came from - I do remember it was part of a feature that we did in ORR about the rider/owner of the machine and I have a feeling it was from the Southern area - can anyone give me any clues?

Please!

post-19290-0-68616100-1388992473_thumb.jpg

Hi Guy's

First name I came up with before scrolling down was Ray Russell,

So I think Sparks is right.

Not a Modified C15!!!! Way back then!!!!

The late Charlie Reynolds had a mag like this fitted to his Tiger Cub, and would only ever use a 350 back tyre? better grip with the power you have ! he said. The extra clearance also meant you were not carrying mud about acting as a brake.

We are enjoying these history lessons Deryk. keep it up.

Regards Charlie. :icon_salut: www.bsaotter.com

Hi Guy's.

Just took another look at the bike.

Just look at that ground clearance or the lack of it, a tortoise would have a job to get underneath.

But now draw a line from the wheel spindles. and you will see that it passes through the centre of the engine crankshaft,this in theory is the best set up you can get for a machine.

Now look at any modified Brit-Shocks and you can see that this line is now right under the crank shield, which makes the balance of the bike all out? and more top hamper as we used to say. fascinating .

Regards Charlie. :icon_salut: www.bsaotter.com

Hopefully this won’t sound too dumb, but whats ORR (I guess its some magazine?)

Offroad Review,

Derek and his wife where the main people behind that magazin,top photographer was Gordon Francis,also Ralph Vennables.If you ever go to a jumble try to get some issues.

Cheers:Mike

I was always of the understanding, that the distributor drive was not strong enough to withstand this conversion. During the 60's there was a guy named Barry Worman (spelling maybe wrong) in the South Midland Center, who trialed a B 40, this particular bike had special side covers that allowed the magneto to be placed similar to the earlier B31/goldstar.

• Like 1

Hi, To add another historic image, here is Tony Davis with his works BSA in the 1962 Wye Valley Traders. Note that the regd. no is '776 BOP', the machine latterly mainly used by Jim Sandiford - but Jim had it as a 343cc.

Can BSA addicts identify the machine in 1962 as being 249cc or was it already a 343cc. I know Tony had ridden the larger version in several nationals because he told me: "It was hopeless compared to the 250 - the power characteristics were all wrong, it wouldn't bite down for grip on a slippery slope." All of which makes we wonder why so many these days have opted for the 343 route?

Enjoy

post-19290-0-46490300-1389365274_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys..

Not one of the works bike were ever what anyone thought they were?

BOP was always bigger than the rest. So ia'm told.

Most of them would have parts that were not available to the general public.

Parts were shipped in from the US, mostly Alloy.Clutch baskets ,Cam wheels, barrels???? Painted Black to look like the production parts.. The B40' s were used to check out the engines for the scramblers???

Now that's a name you don't here today?? What BSA ever did as development! would be laughed at by the Japanese?? It was always done on a non existent budget by the boys in the back room?? And then only because they loved the job they were doing, with NO financial gain, other than the PRIDE in the job they were doing!!! Changing World Ent It as we say in North Oxfordshire.

Regards Charlie. ,www.bsaotter.com.

• Like 1

Hi Charlie,

Don't get me going on "goings-on" at most of the works - and don't forget my interest was split relatively equally between trials and scrambles so the offroadarchive has plenty of scrambles, motocross, grasstrack, even speedway and road racing snippets........

But I promise to restrict my thoughts on this forum to we feet-up-nuts.

Enjoy

Edited by laird387

Hi Charlie'

Oh dear, so much for that last promise - but your mention of what the development boys were thinking in BSA developments at Slumberglade reminded me of an image of one of their projects - but for the life of me I can't remember the bike..........

post-19290-0-72297000-1389712339_thumb.jpg

• Like 2