One For The Future

fred_savage

I suppose, like many, I regret selling some of the earlier Trials models that I once purchased new.

My Bultacos, Montesas and many twin shock Fantics that in today’s terms cost relatively small amounts of money may have proved to be a sound investment if retained.

So, why post in this forum?

It occurs to me that we have just seen the first major changes in the evolution of the 4RT as a model.

The standard model, in my opinion has been “down specced” and now carries lower value suspension and wheel set.

So the question is, if a new/old bike could be located would it represent a future classic and therefore a sound investment?

Interestingly enough a magazine have done a review of both the standard and the factory and it seems the standard came out on top due to its suspension being more plush and not as sharp as the factory model. Also the specs say the suspension of the standard is fully adjustable like the factory but the thing that made me smirk was the fact the standard model is 0.5kg lighter than the factory?!

Seems to me that for your average clubman the standard is the one and a cost saving of £1100 too... now, wheres my cheque book!

Cheers,

Gary.

Edited by joeninety

I suppose, like many, I regret selling some of the earlier Trials models that I once purchased new.

My Bultacos, Montesas and many twin shock Fantics that in today’s terms cost relatively small amounts of money may have proved to be a sound investment if retained.

So, why post in this forum?

It occurs to me that we have just seen the first major changes in the evolution of the 4RT as a model.

The standard model, in my opinion has been “down specced” and now carries lower value suspension and wheel set.

So the question is, if a new/old bike could be located would it represent a future classic and therefore a sound investment?

Perhaps it will Fred.

Hondas always have had a good following and strong loyalty . Their buyers also seem to have a little bit more money. Certainly the price and the expensive after market addons available out shine the availability to other brands.

Will buyer be clammering after your 4Rt om 10 years time ? Probably , but perhaps not at the price you want. Did the 15K unridden RTL sell at Eddie Aitken motorcycles? There is your answer .

If Honda pull the plug , then youve scored . If they dont they youll still get your money back , if not more.

Ps - are you the Fred Savage from camp road Farnborough?.

Although it wont bother any smitten Honda buyer i dont they are much cop. I rode a brand new standard model a week ago. Decent chassis , lack lustre engine

Interestingly enough a magazine have done a review of both the standard and the factory and it seems the standard came out on top due to its suspension being more plush and not as sharp as the factory model. Also the specs say the suspension of the standard is fully adjustable like the factory but the thing that made me smirk was the fact the standard model is 0.5kg lighter than the factory?!

Its not totally irrelevent to the post as maybe the standard bike isn't as "down specced" as people seem to believe...

Perhaps you wouldnt ......but back in its day it was a trials shop to be proud of and well worth a visit :)

Thought that was Len Savage(?) who sold his shop and surrounding land for property development, Sat next to him at the first ever indoor at Sheffield and had a laugh at the link that people often made due to our names.

Its not totally irrelevent to the post as maybe the standard bike isn't as "down specced" as people seem to believe...

I'm speculating on the bikes value in 10 - 20 years.

But in response to your remarks ref suspension;

Regardless of what manufacturers do to new models the press always seems to state "best bike ever". Given the choice I would opt for Showa. Wonder if the factory boys will change as there is nothing worse in sport that having your confidence undermined by the thought that you may be using 2nd rate equipment............................