Older Montesas.

laird387

I`m confused with the last 4 post don't know who it is but sure it's an Armstrong......

Hi esuark,

It was confirmed as an Armstrong by jc2 - so I have deleted the post and placed it in the Armstrong file.......

Thanks to all for your help in sorting my filing system!

Deryk Wylde

Hi

Some of the pics with riders wearing CCMCC bibs look to have snow in the background ? The alan was always a summer trial but the lakes two day used to be january and used the same bibs I think.

Thanks for that, the same point had been nattering away at me, but I thought maybe one or t'other had suffered a dates change - but now I can look with fresh eyes, as it were.

Deryk Wylde

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi sparks,

When he was a callow youth John Hulme collected, as a hobby, sales leaflets of trials machines - he has a virtually definitive collection which he used when he was compiling his book 'Spanish Trials Machines' ,

You could try him.

Just a thought.

Deryk

Hi Deryk

Thanks for the offer, if indeed it was an offer.

But I think it unlikely that Montesa changed the publicity material for

what were considered minor changes in specification.

It was, after all, Spain in the late sixties and early seventies.

Photo #127 - (Sparkie Telling) is much more likely to be the Inter-Centre Team Trial

held on Rooley Moor, Rochdale that year.

Unlikely that Sparkie would venture that far north from Minety near Swindon, for just a Yorkshire Centre event (Yorkshire GN).

Kind Regards

Sparks

Edited by sparks2

Hi Deryk

Thanks for the offer, if indeed it was an offer.

But I think it unlikely that Montesa changed the publicity material for

what were considered minor changes in specification.

It was, after all, Spain in the late sixties and early seventies.

Photo #127 - (Sparkie Telling) is much more likely to be the Inter-Centre Team Trial

held on Rooley Moor, Rochdale that year.

Unlikely that Sparkie would venture that far north from Minety near Swindon, for just a Yorkshire Centre event (Yorkshire GN).

Kind Regards

Sparks

Hi sparks,

Could be the Inter-Centre - but wouldn't you have expected some sort of indication, say on the number plate, for the I/C teams?

I do know that Gordon Farley came up for the Ilkley Grand National as a sort of practice for the Scott - and Sparkie was definitely a rider who liked a challenge.

Maybe somebody could ask him?

Cheers

Deryk

Hi Deryk

I take your points, of course.

But in the uncropped version of the same photo, clearly visable in the background are the blocks of flats that are still visable

on the Rochdale skyline today. Also visable are the line of pylons that used to stretch across Rooley Moor.

I don't think riders have ever worn team colours. We're far too refined for that and leave them for the footballers.

As an aside, my own early Montesa has a Swindon reg. number, and I often wonder if it had a connection to Sparkie T.

Kind Regards

Sparks

Edited by sparks2

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

We know this is the 2012 Sammy Miller round organised by the Ilkley club - but we don't know the rider - so it's over to the armchair sleuths to recognise him, please.

Photo: Jack Knoops, enjoy

(sparks says: Martin Allen from Bristol - thanks again)

post-19290-0-79315400-1411123005_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387