199A Won't Run Sweet!

bully m92

Hi guys i'm having some issues getting this old girl too run sweet.

Can't get it too tick over for love nor money!!. Iv'e tried adjusting the float level numerous times, it iether bogs and cuts out or just won't blooming start.

Any ides would be much appreciated.

Cheers Hywel.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If its a Bing carb have you got the plastic bit under or over the throttle needle clip - is should be on top.

I once had an intermittent HT coil fault that gave similar symptoms and I know of another bulto owner who had this type of problem for weeks, turned out to be a wiring fault near the points, The fault was hard to see and I can't remember if it was a break or a short.

Edited by dadof2

I'ts running a bing.The plastic thing is on top.

I'm kind of thinking it may just be down to the carb being worn through age.

The slide and bore are in good condition mind, with no ridges.I;m also wondering wether the crank seals are tired as she does tend to smoke a bit, I have new c3 bearings and seals.

Ive just whipped the clutch cover off to make a start, and have noticed summat that doesn;t look quite right!!!!

Either the crank is bent or the last person who did some work on it hasn't fitted the weight true... i.e woodruff key has slid up crank a bit.

I'ts running a bing.The plastic thing is on top.

I'm kind of thinking it may just be down to the carb being worn through age.

The slide and bore are in good condition mind, with no ridges.I;m also wondering wether the crank seals are tired as she does tend to smoke a bit, I have new c3 bearings and seals.

Ive just whipped the clutch cover off to make a start, and have noticed summat that doesn;t look quite right!!!!

Either the crank is bent or the last person who did some work on it hasn't fitted the weight true... i.e woodruff key has slid up crank a bit.

Which is why i can't get the bloody weight off!! bummer...

bully if you have the magneto puller it should come off easy. make sure you take the flat.and spring washer out first. i would not hit the magneto with a hammer if you have the correct tools will come off very easy. you will need the magneto holdin tool also you can buy both from inmotion for around £40 i have both femsa .and motoplat magneto pullers i had to have a socket skimed to go into 1 off my magnetos on 1 off my 199Bs

also to the bing you can buy new sldes.and needle and floats. but may be cheaper just to buy a new bing or a mikuni i run both on my 199B both work well. like i said it may not be the carb. thats just the first starting point. my 199B wasnt runing as good as it should turned out the piston was tired so ive just put new 1 in with rebore. could even be the timming/points just got to go throw all the bike.

bully if you have the magneto puller it should come off easy. make sure you take the flat.and spring washer out first. i would not hit the magneto with a hammer if you have the correct tools will come off very easy. you will need the magneto holdin tool also you can buy both from inmotion for around £40 i have both femsa .and motoplat magneto pullers i had to have a socket skimed to go into 1 off my magnetos on 1 off my 199Bs

Hi Bondy it's the primary weight thats stuck. When i spin the engine over it's running out of true, possibly installed roughly by the last person.Need to get a puller this week, shame as iv always just managed to give it a few light taps with a wooden mallet in the past, and its justv popped off.

Reply to carb topic.. IT starts up great from cold and even when it's warm, first or second kick all the time.

So i presume the timing must be pretty spot on, also it doesn't misfire at all, just bogs or won't tickover.

It seems fine once your riding it, but is a bit ropey low down.

still could be the carb its just trials and Error bully. some times can be confusing but you need to go thro the simple things first before taking covers off. i would first go.and check the carb first like i said. might have the wrong jets in or the needle slide could be worn the list gose on.

Hi Nigel,

bowl seems to be filling fine, bango filter is clean and iv'e had an air line through the carb.

Even with the tickover screw wound right in, she still wont idle.......

If i hold the revs a bit it will idle fast but dies after a minute or so and i have to pick the rev's up again.

Doing my crust in. I have got a mint MK1 amal off my m92 but i need the manifold adapter.

Well it's just as i thought the crank seals are shot. Plus the bike has fallen foul to some complete moron!, the last time the seals were done.

I eventually managed to get the crank weight off, and it looks as if the end of the crank, has snapped at some point, It looks as if someone has attempted to weld it!!! not a good job at al, as the crank is well out of true.

Anyway on further inspection, i removed the crank seal holder........ and it came off in 2!! pieces. It has been broke in half, it took me an hour our so to remove the sleeve section which the seals sit into. As for the seal wear sleeve, it has welded itself to the crank.

I read in another post about this, and the guy found out that he did not need the gasket's which sit between the holder and the crankcase. Seems this is the same issue as he had, where the gases have been leaking through and heating up the o ring and wear sleeve.

When I pulled the head and barrel off, there was a fair bit of gearbox oil, in the crank case.

One good thing is that it does have a brand new piston and rings.. ha ha ha. There is quite a bit of up and down movement on the big end though.

And i wonder why it was running cack!!! lol.

So to some things up, I need a new crank and seal holder

Keep up the good work guys :D