Magnetic Kill Switches ?

cabby

I've got an Apico, it works fine, have got mine on throttle wrist, can be a pain if you need to use hand to pull kick start lever out.

But does get a laugh when you wave :icon_salut::chairfall::wall:

Why?

Most common is on the other wrist.

Why?

Most common is on the other wrist.

I just asked myself "In the case of an emergency, which hand would I want to be the last to leave the bike, before I wanted the engine to die?"

If the left comes off first I can hopefully shut the throttle and apply the brake.

If the right comes off first the only thing I can hope to do is pull the clutch.

So I came up with putting the lanyard on the throttle hand, which in my way of thinking gives me more control over the bike, should either hand leave the bars.

I just asked myself "In the case of an emergency, which hand would I want to be the last to leave the bike, before I wanted the engine to die?"

If the left comes off first I can hopefully shut the throttle and apply the brake.

If the right comes off first the only thing I can hope to do is pull the clutch.

So I came up with putting the lanyard on the throttle hand, which in my way of thinking gives me more control over the bike, should either hand leave the bars.

Hmmm... Interesting, so everytime you need yo adjust your helmet or scratch ya bo!!ox you gotta find neutral. Nearly all pre section adjustments seems to be done with the throttle hand, carb adjustments, moving a branch out the way, and even things like holding the punch card for the observer or waving to ya groupies seems to be naturally throttle hand!

Are these things really that good.?

Can't they be knocked off by branches,or with just moving around on the bike?

Someones bound to have had a trip over the bars when somethings caught one.

Not that easily no, you can mount it out of harm's way, and the lanyard stretches a lot before it pulls of the magnet.

I've got one about a year now and nothing out of the ordinary has happened yet.

I do have a spare magnet (sold separate) in my tool box, just in case...

Are these things really that good.?

Can't they be knocked off by branches,or with just moving around on the bike?

Someones bound to have had a trip over the bars when somethings caught one.

Their is a few wobblers got them now.

Was speaking to a guy at Lochlane with one, seen his face but don't know his name, good rider to, he had one, says it's the business, though he doesn't actually wear the lanyard itself, just pulls it off (oh err missus) when he stops.

• Like 1

Hmmm... Interesting, so everytime you need yo adjust your helmet or scratch ya bo!!ox you gotta find neutral. Nearly all pre section adjustments seems to be done with the throttle hand, carb adjustments, moving a branch out the way, and even things like holding the punch card for the observer or waving to ya groupies seems to be naturally throttle hand!

I don't disagree with the above, but the point of a lanyard kill switch is to be used in an emergency when riding sections, in between I can always slip the lanyard off.

Another thing to bear in mind is the type of bike one rides, on a modern, the bars are a lot further away from the engine, I ride a TY the only carb adjustment is tick over or mixture which is either done with the left hand or a screwdriver, finding neutral once the engine is running should I need it, is usually done by the left hand whilst holding the clutch with the right and should an irritable itch occur I can still reach my Bo!!ox with my right hand.

• Like 1

I don't disagree with the above, but the point of a lanyard kill switch is to be used in an emergency when riding sections, in between I can always slip the lanyard off.

Another thing to bear in mind is the type of bike one rides, on a modern, the bars are a lot further away from the engine, I ride a TY the only carb adjustment is tick over or mixture which is either done with the left hand or a screwdriver, finding neutral once the engine is running should I need it, is usually done by the left hand whilst holding the clutch with the right and should an irritable itch occur I can still reach my Bo!!ox with my right hand.

At the end of the day it each to their own, what ever works best for you. My magnetic kill switch should arrive today and I'm planning on fitting it between the grip and the clutch lever for left hand operation, I will see how I get on with it Sunday...

I initially fitted mine on the throttle side! Then rapidly moved to the clutch side..... at least now I dont have to find neutral whenever I take a hand off to scratch an itch, etc.

It is much easier on the clutch side, far fewer accidental engine stops as well when you forget you have the lanyard around your wrist. Its amazing how times you take your hand off the bars to do something, and its always the throttle hand.

My lanyard switch is the Apico type. The first one would not switch, but it was swapped out straight away by the shop. Since then, no problems! (Apart from remembering you have the lanyard around your wrist in the first place) but you soon get used to it. Plus, the elastic bit does unclip from the magnet so you can leave the bike with the magnet still in place quite easily.

• Like 1