First Ride...

elliotsdaddy

Hello all.

Well I popped out for the very first potter in the woods on my new toy this afternoon......fair play it's harder than it looks.

I was only out for an hour and I was knackered when I got back. Arm pump hello, do come in. :)

I really enjoyed it. It was great to be out in the woods having fun on the Sherco.

One thing though, how are those open face helmets so popular?

I had a Thor full face lid with goggles and I got hit in the face by some rather large branches on more than one occassion.

I suppose the idea is to miss them, I'll try harder next time. :)

Can't wait for the next ride.

When a coarse is set out for a trial most of the branches and twigs are cut back to prevent people getting hit in

the face.

Its only when you go off coarse that it can become a problem.

Oh, it does get easier with practice.

TLTEL

Yeah kind of makes sense I suppose.

One thing is for sure though, I have an increased in respect for trial riders.

I have always been impressed with the skill that's required to make a trial bike look like it's floating through a section. It's not until you actually get on one that it becomes apparent just how much work there is to do.

While I was riding I could hear little youtube video clips in my head about weight distribution, power delivery and so on.....so not all TV is bad. :)

I'd really love to try and make progress with wheelies next time out. I'm pretty sure I got the front wheel up yesterday while riding over a branch, hahaha. :)

Hi, welcome.

You are forgiven for wanting to weelie and look good doing it but fact is, weelies would just be for show at the moment. Try focus on turns and balance first. Full lock fig 8 s in both directions and dead slow, then do it on uneven terain. This is great training for a beginner.

Dont worry, the fun stuff will improve with peg time. Im desperate to learn how to nose weelie and splat but I dont waste too much time practicing them as it wont help me in a trial just yet.

Enjoy.

• Like 1

Ooooo wheelie tuition...thanks for that. :)

Yeah I was having a go at the figure of 8's. Found it quite challenging on the flat so I think uneven terrain is a little while off yet.

I have made a rookie mistake though.....I don't yet have any filter oil to apply to the air filter once it's been washed, so no more riding untill I get some. Lesson learned. :(

Dont worry too much if you dont have the right oil. I have been using Q20 (kinda like wd40) for years. Spray it all over, scrunch it up and youre good to go. You can also use 2 stroke oil.

People are bound to say how wrong i am but keep in mind that the oil is just to help the dust stick and a trials air filter should be cleaned before every ride so its not getting clogged up and is kept relatively clean.

Hi, welcome.

You are forgiven for wanting to weelie and look good doing it but fact is, weelies would just be for show at the moment. Try focus on turns and balance first. Full lock fig 8 s in both directions and dead slow, then do it on uneven terain. This is great training for a beginner.

Dont worry, the fun stuff will improve with peg time. Im desperate to learn how to nose weelie and splat but I dont waste too much time practicing them as it wont help me in a trial just yet.

Enjoy.

I agree, but if someone wants to learn it, better learn the right technique from the first time...

My elbows would have been much 'happier' if i found this video a couple of years earlier...

Figure 8: when they start to be easier, try them on one foot!

Edited by bieze

Thanks for the replies chaps.

I've watched a few of Ryans videos on youtube, very informative....and free. :)

Also, two videos I can't stop watching are the urban trial videos by Fred Crosset.

They might not be everyones cup of tea but I think it gives trial riding a different perspective. I'm still happy pottering around the woods where nobody can see me, but to see someone riding urban makes a refreshing change....if slightly naughty. :)