Free Trials Training Youtube Clips

sherconoob

Oh ok! That explains it. Intro section at times were next to the harder grades. Just saw a couple of sections I thought "no way going through there", not YET, anyway....

you'll get to meet the lover of bulls (now THAT sounds weird!) above if you come to one of the meetings. he spends countless hours planning fiendish ways to make riders dab or stall in the sections he sets... strangely he seems to fall victim to his own sections fairly often hehe!

actually i should point out in that vid we were following the blue arrows too. these are put in for clubman riders who want more of a challenge and they are optional. it's very handy actually, as it provides a neat stepping stone between clubman and C grade.

this video shows a lot of the typical clubman lines... they are probably set a tad harder than other clubs but there's always an emphasis on safety so steep nasty terrain is avoided: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn84gvf8C-s

On the clubman sections where you are running a bit slower to get around corners, down and up banks et cetera I'd be ok but where you have to jump a log or rock higher than the bash plate clearance I'd be in dabland or worse... Uh ohhhhhhh! The rider has left his steed!!! Hehehehe

As discussed by many clubs before, if the beginner sections are set so a "rank beginner" mostly fails there is no incentive to come back. This is what happened to me back in March at my first ever trial. I did 15-18 sections and gave it away after falling 3 times (no bad injury, just bruising) I know of three other people this has happened to as well this year and not by word of mouth. I've actually spoken to the two guys and one girl who never went back. They ride on private land now. I have discussed it with them a few times and I'm pretty sure they'll be back shortly. They are not beginner riders like my wife, just beginner riders to trials.

Incentive and praise is a great motivator. I think I read in these forums that one club gives you a small medallion the first time you EVER complete 40 sections no matter the dab count. Would be about $10 in zinc with plating but would be solid gold to a beginner!!! You could even add the cost to membership and explain its waiting for you the first time you complete 40 sections. And, as a beginner you just have to go through the in gate and out the out gate, following any line you like.

I had two choices... just ride social forever or improve to a point where its fun and challenging but as safe as possible. We have chosen the latter and I've done my 30 years with "hero status" so don't need to put injury before ego. I'll take a 5 and move on to next section. I can always return to it.

As I've said before... the dream is for both of us to compete in novice trials comps. My wife is far behind my ability as a rank beginner to bikes (Jan this year first ever go and it was her Beta 4T) but when she comfortable to try Novice again we'll enter one.

We are keeping an eye out on Facebook for next WDTC social/fun/learn day... with baited breath and polished tyres. (rubberyWink)

Viva La Trials

Mags

• Like 1

hey mags, can't agree more on sections need to be noob-friendly! the intro sections are always very easy and the biggest "log" would normally be four inches perhaps? on the clubman lines, there aren't many obstacles that are more than bashplate high but there will always be one or two just to add challenge for those who want it... some will opt to pass of course. that big log in the vid is lower on the other side but we were doing the blue arrows for anyone wanting a challenge which puts you on the higher part of the log.

a practice day will come down to when our only level one coach can get a weekend off and he'll supervise me so i can get a level 1 accreditation too. there will be quite a few practice days once that happens!

On the topic of confidence: As you mentioned, It really does help to have a good friend as a spotter.

1. They will be more willing to risk life and limb to save your bike than somebody that barely knows you

2. They will give you the appropriate harassment to get you to do the obstacle.

:D

Last event there was a 4 foot tall splatter stump with a small rock for the kicker placed 3 feet away, I was concerned if I would make it. Just having Biffsgasgas standing next to the stump, ready to catch my bike (Old B.A.G.G.) was a big confidence booster. I made the stump all 5 loops.

jimmie it was very tempting to mention beer in that last vid...some of the older guys in the club were talking about years ago how well they rode if they had just had one or two beers before hand before this sort of deplorable and semi criminal behavior was abolished. for some, the small amounts increased confidence more than it affected coordination obviously!

zippy, thanks for letting me know, no issues if its non commercial use. it does get me thinking i should probably pop a small copyright and url on stuff just in case someone does try to cash in on something though. great site btw.... i was just thinking i might have to borrow your sig line for a video?.... To be a MotoTrials rider it takes focus and OH LOOK A SQUIRREL!

jimmie it was very tempting to mention beer in that last vid...some of the older guys in the club were talking about years ago how well they rode if they had just had one or two beers before hand before this sort of deplorable and semi criminal behavior was abolished. for some, the small amounts increased confidence more than it affected coordination obviously!

Actually, that was very true, for me and many other riders I knew and/or rode with, around 30+ years ago. One, maybe two beers would relax you and let you ride a little more "loose". It never seemed to impair us at all. Gosh, we rode so much. and so often back then, that small amount of alcohol hardly affected us. (added in EDIT: we also drank quite a bit back then as well...... :beer: ) But nowadays, the general uninformed public believes you're committing a horrific crime to ride with one beer in your system...... Whatever..... It's a moot point for myself, personally now. I have recently been diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis, and the medication I take isn't supposed to be used with alcohol. At least until my blood tests say that maybe a small amount of beer or wine might be alright.......

Jimmie

Edited by mr neutron

zippy, thanks for letting me know, no issues if its non commercial use. it does get me thinking i should probably pop a small copyright and url on stuff just in case someone does try to cash in on something though. great site btw.... i was just thinking i might have to borrow your sig line for a video?.... To be a MotoTrials rider it takes focus and OH LOOK A SQUIRREL!

Thanks, definitely no commercial use.............could use a sponsor though, shift levers keep breaking for some reason.

Thanks about the site, I have been super busy in personal life and not had time to keep it up to date properly. Hopefully that will change soon.

Borrow the sig line, put your own spin on it, enjoy it.

• 4 weeks later...