Triumph For Fun

fatty

Hi, I posted on here a while when I started my search for a trials bike.

Wanted four stroke and something I could also ride on the road occasionally and have a go at some basic novice trials.

I have now found a 1966 triumph tiger cub, it got 21" front wheel, ally tank, Sammy miller sprockets, footrests and exhaust. Had new big end, barrel and head I believe. Also road registered.

Are they any good and could I use it at a local club on a novice route .

Thanks Fatty

If you are riding in classic events then the Cub is a fine bike, obviously it does also depend on how well it is set up but that is something you will soon learn about from other riders.

What area are you from and which events are you planning to ride in?

• Like 2

Hi trialsrfun.

I'm from Hampshire and was just looking at doing some club events, not really looked into it that much.

I have however just come back from meeting Sammy Miller !. And he has suggested that I would be better off with a TY175 as it's a lot more reliable and more useable.

Sort of messed my mind a bit as I sort of had my mind made up on. Triumph . But surely what Sammy says I should listen to.

Or do I just go with my feeling ?

Fatty

Hi trialsrfun.

I'm from Hampshire and was just looking at doing some club events, not really looked into it that much.

I have however just come back from meeting Sammy Miller !. And he has suggested that I would be better off with a TY175 as it's a lot more reliable and more useable.

Sort of messed my mind a bit as I sort of had my mind made up on. Triumph . But surely what Sammy says I should listen to.

Or do I just go with my feeling ?

Fatty

Yes I see what he is saying but either bike has a bit of age about it and both will need setting up properly. That is no mystery just a good (preferably electronic) spark and unworn carb, not too high geared and brakes that do work.

Is the bike in current use in trials, could you go to a meeting and have a ride on it, also ask someone else to try the bike they will have more experience than you.

The same would apply to the Yam as well.

Edited by trialsrfun
  • Like 1

trialsrfun

The bike i am looking at i don think has been used for a while. its just had a head and barrel fitted and the sprockets look faily new. I would say some one has been building it up over a while and cant get on with it. I am going to see again on monday and hopefully have a go on it.

my problem is i already have loads of old vintage tractors that always need tinkering and i was looking ofr something that i could use as and when and also take to the occasional show with the tractors, but at the same time being good enough to go to a local trial.

I am a fairly competant rider so like to think i would get used to an older bike.

I have had a chat with a few other people today and a fantic 200 pro has been mentioned as a good bike ?

Decisions decisions !

Trialsfun

Finally some has put down what I wanted to hear. Although time for an old bike is in short supply but I for some reason prefer the old to new, love the sound and the looks and simplicity.

Tractors, 1938 Fordson Standard, 1950 Ferguson TED20, 1956 International B250. Plus host of implements to go with them.

The standard was found in a hedge and seized solid, managed to get it running and have left unrestored.

The Fergie is sort of as standard just had a few newbies here and there.

The International has been in the workshop for three years having the works, full engine rebuild, shot blast, paint, bearings, seals, you name it it is getting it.

Hence the reason time is short, plus I work mile from home and leave at 05.00 and return at 20.00 so weekdays don't give me any time to play.

Anyway I a looking at the Triumph again tomorrow so will see what comes of it !

Thanks Fatty

• Like 1

Trialsrfun

Well went back to see the triumph and found too many bits and pieces that needed doing along with lots of bits that I did not like.

So on the way back I called into a shop and have now got my self a new toy.

Not what I intended but decided I just needed a set of wheel to get me going.

I have got myself a very clean 1996 Beta Techno 250 !

Not sure how good they are but the money seemed fair for a well looked after bike owned by an older chap, no massive dents or damage, near new tyres and ready to ride.

Also got all new kit at the same place, Boots , Hat, Gloves, spare levers, Oil, Plug and paddock stand.

All in all a good days shopping.

Any views on a Beta ?

Fatty

Pleased to learn you have found a bike. I have a Rev 3 250 my friend an Evo Beta are a good bike, enjoy riding it.

if you are still interested in a Triumph Cub message me I know of one for sale locally.

Edited by trialsrfun

I don't care what anyone says - Bloody Cubs are a nightmare,full stop. If you want to enjoy riding a trials bike rather than constantly spannering it, then a TY Yam or your Beta is a far better bet.

I do tractors too,1941 Standard N with a 5 ton Hesford winch,there are also a couple of DB's - red 990 and white 885. A very good friend next door has an IH 414 which I look after too. Recently fitted some Bosch pencil glow plugs which work at battery voltage - cold starts after 12secs every time ! They fit many of the indirect injection IH's,so will transform them too.I'll look up the part number if its any help to you.

• Like 1