Rear Tyre Bead Seating

toetoe

i have turned my rear tyre around and it all went well until i went to put air into it, how do i get the beads to seat properly, i live not far from a tyre fitting garage so if all else fails i can nip it to there but it would be nice if i could finish the job i started.

Put a tie strap around the tyre to force the side walls to the outside, than put some air in the tyre, with a compressor, until it seats properly, than remove the strap and inflate the tyre further

Ty%20down%20strap.jpg

Edited by guys
  • Like 1

Getting the bead to seal enough to be able to inflate it is quite difficult without a compressor with a lot of air volume. Remove the valve from the stem to allow faster air flow.

I have had to use 2 of the cinch straps that Guys showed above with the levers 180 degrees away from each other to get it started. Once both sides begin to seat, release the tension on the straps.

I do like to use some rubber lubricant to help the bead slide on the rim easier. Especially on the Dunlop tires. They have a very tight fit and even with lube, I have had to use upwards of 80 PSI to get them to seat fully. A friend who used window cleaner as lube told me he had to put 105 PSI in to get the beads to seat. Yikes! If your rims are aluminum (or aluminium un UK) do not use soap as lube because it is alkaline and can cause corrosion inside the rims.

As GTMuzz says you can spray some product with flammable propellant (hair spray, starting fluid, penetrating oil) in then ignite it but that is risky. Basically you are causing a small explosion to create a surge of pressure inside the tire. Never tried it but for sure if I did, it would be outdoors.

Edited by thats_a_five

Use a 20 inch bmx inner inflated so it holds it's shape, place the inner tube in the gap between the tyre bead and the rim so it fill the gap, inflate the tyre and pull the inner tube out as the bead of the tyre reaches the rim of the wheel, this is normally very successfully to get the tyre to seal, once the tyre is holding pressure continue to inflate until the beads seat (please be cautious of over inflating the tyre especially if it has any visible damage)

Alternatively a bead seater is a great investment.

a few tips

as that's_a_five said take the valve out as it does two things :1 better air flow in and 2 u can release the air faster (emergency)

I and vale-onslow old bike shop have been using water and fairy liquid mix for years and never had a problem.

if its still not sitting you might want to massage/stretch the tyre with your tyre lever in the area its not coming up then pump up and see where you are..

last week the front tyre on the gas was being a right B so I had to hold the tyre out wit the lever and pump air in .was easier then

(compressor owned)

thanks everyone, i will give it a go tomorrow, my problem is not having compressed air at home and the one i used earlier today at the petrol station doesn't give you a constant flow of air pressure it does it a bit at a time and i don't think it's a good idea to use deodorant and a lighter in a petrol station, although i would certainly try it if i had a compressor at home so i will try the straps first, also there are plenty of small units around the area i live so if i can't do it i will find a small garage that will let me use their air hose.

I have used the a bmx tube and it works really well, my son used to have loads of them in the garage and they are just the right size.

I have also in the past popped in to my local bike shop to get them to pump them up as they have a high out put compressor, they have never accepted payment for doing it.

TLTEL

i have used straps before but next time its the explosion oh hell yeah

its science y'all

i think i have already made my mind up to have a go with carb cleaner just to see it works, even if i have to try one of the other ways after, i have got to have a go, if you hear a big bang about nine in the morning then i put to much in it.

Edited by toetoe

i think i have already made my mind up to have a go with carb cleaner just to see it works, even if i have to try one of the other ways after, i have got to have a go, if you hear a big bang about nine in the morning then i put to much in it.

I wouldn't use carb cleaner, rubber doesn't like it.

Take the wheel and tyre down to the tyre fitters and ask them to do it, if you see one of the fitters he'll probably do it for a drink.

if i hear it in chester id say you need a new bike good luck mate and remember always wear goggles

I have seen 2 stroke mix used, shake it well all over the inside of the tyre and throw lighted paper at it from a distance, be ready to pump the tyre fully up immediately without dislodging it from the rim.

If you have a few days the best way is to put a tube in your tyre a few days before fitting it. Inflate the tube and it bulges the tyre beads out.

Nomally I do it with a compressor after removing valve core to get a good air flow

Edited by dadof2