Beta Clutch Dilemma

bassmickster

Can you help me solve this problem? I can't get my '08 Beta 125cc to go-- and I literally mean "go"-- the crank will not make rear wheel spin! I just upgraded the bike and have obviously reassembled it incorrectly. Some back ground: I recently replaced the factory magnesium clutch / water pump housing with an aluminum one. I also replaced the plastic impeller with the bigger aluminum version. While I was in there I decided to do "the Beta clutch fix" (remove excess problematic factory adhesive from clutch friction plates). I have a factory manual and put everything back together as I thought it came apart. I added new fluids (75wt transmission oil for 2 stroke bikes and high grade antifreeze). It started on the first kick and runs fine (235 psi compression). But the throttle has zero effect on rear wheel drive no matter what gear it's in or whether clutch hand lever is engaged or not!

I disassembled everything, checked for proper torque on six clutch pack bolts and visually scanned for missing / extra parts. When I spun the rear wheel (in gear) I could see the clutch plates spin. The clutch hand lever moves the pressure plate appropriately. I put it all back together double checking the diagram. Started it and same problem. It's almost as if the transmission oil is too slippery. The clutch just slips! At my wit's end! Ideas?

Try just removing the pressure plate to make sure it is lining up correctly. This happens on some bikes that need a certain exact fit. The Beta should just go together, but you could be off just a little. You do have the parts diagram?

My bike model does have the single ball bearing on the end of the push rod pressure plate actuator. It's in there; the pressure plate moves in and out with the hand lever movement. I do have the factory parts diagram. I'll check for any match marks on the pressure plate in case I missed them.

Back off the lever adjustment. You may have it in too far. If that doesn't get it then open the bleeder slightly and if that doesn't make it engage it's purely mechanical and not hydraulic.

Edited by dan williams

Back off the lever adjustment. You may have it in too far. If that doesn't get it then open the bleeder slightly and if that doesn't make it engage it's purely mechanical and not hydraulic.

i was thinking the same could be as simple as that

If all above is of no solution, then I would look at the gear selector pawl. There was a notice from Beta regarding issues and fix. It may be that the bike is not engaging? You said the clutch moved in and out, and thats about all it does except Grabs.

Ooooh tell me about this notice from Beta. Does it have any effect on false neutrals? Popped another on this weekend and it put me on my ass in a rather deep yet refreshing mud puddle.

I bet that woke you up!

The notice was directed to the entrants of the Scottish 6 days, and mentioned rivets that could dislodge from the pawl and how to secure them.

I'm not sure if the symptoms would be the same as Bassmickster described, I just threw it out there since no definitive diagnosis has been posted. I'm intrested in the outcome of this dilemma.

I think you are going a wrong direction with the shifter, if you spin the wheel and you can see the clutch slipping don't start looking at the shifter

If you leave the lever alone and wiggle the clutch pack is it slightly loose or is it tight?

The pressure play should squeeze the plates tightly together

You probably have mis assembled the clutch

Eureka! I fixed it! Thanks for all of your suggestions. The winner was....

The hydraulic perspective. During the "clutch fix" portion of my rebuild I had forgot about the fact that a visitor to my shop decided to "fiddle about" and squeezed the clutch lever. He squeezed it just one before I yelled "don't touch!" I promptly forgot about that blunder and put it all back together. This is sort of like squeezing the front brake lever when the rotor is removed from the caliper. The absence of a clutch pressure plate bolted down under springs allowed one squirt too much brake fluid into the slave cylinder. I had to bleed out a small amount of fluid to retract that pin and single ball bearing. It's all good now. And--the clutch fix is working nicely. Thanks again! Happy trails!

Yeah you gotta watch out out for your buddies while the bike is in surgery.

The most frightening for me was when I was working on a friend's Subaru brakes with less than the proper safety gear. His wife, who is a sweetheart but rather, er, Rubinesque wandered over and said, "How's it going?" and leaned on the car with a thud. I never moved that fast in my life. Damn near peed myself.