Cota 247 Swingarm Function?

alchemy84

Yes - I have a spare swinging arm and frame and a full standard bike .

I might just leave the standard one untouched at the minute !!!

I was thinking about rebuilding the engine and using it then getting my comp bike rebuilt as it's a bit rattley - but I might just do it at the end of the year.

I'll keep you updated on the electronic ignition and I'll try to get some measurements for the swinging arm bearings.

It would be ideal just to use a spindle and bearings off a more modern bike !!

Keep up the posts.

Cheers

As always "the Wobbler"

Hi wobbler, just spoke to a guy this evening and i am off up the top end of Scotland to pick up a 1978 Cota 247 on sunday morning, talk about luck or what, this one is also a runner and by all accounts needs the cosmetics done and the usual wear and tear stuff, tyres, shocks and mud guards etc.

I will try and post up some pictures when i can and figure out how to. :)

I am picking up my swing arm tomorrow, so i will have a chance to see what may or may not fit as far as roller bearings etc, will keep posting with results.

John.

I don't think they'll fit as the 247 swinging arm is a complete tube from one side to the other whereas the others mount to the back of the engine I think.

My thoughts were to get it measured for a roller bearing and then get a spindle made up.

I'll use my spare one then if it doesn't work no major problem.

I'll keep you all updated too.

Cheers

As always " the Wobbler"

Here is the latest edition to the Cota 247 collection. :)

Picked this one up on sunday, a bit of a gamble as i had not seen it before i made the 300 mile round trip to buy it!

The bike is running great but it cosmetically it is a ruff one.

I want to change the seat/tank unit to the trials one as this one has the trail tank/seat unit with the larger seat.

post-20257-0-01461000-1407227010_thumb.jpg

Edited by johnmartin247

Here is the one i bought two weeks ago. This one is now stripped down and the frame is at the powder coaters, tank seat unit is next for repainting, front forks stripped for rebuild all other parts cleaned or renewed as required.

Will post up photo's of rebuild as it starts.

post-20257-0-70021900-1407227560_thumb.jpg

Edited by johnmartin247
  • Like 1

John - good work keep up the posts.....

Can you not just trim the fibre glass cover.

I've been thinking about taking mine off and putting a tank on off something else.

Then just a seat plate.

I like the idea of a comp bike with the right bits on Mikuni -rock shocks - quick throttle - foot pegs moved ....then a standard one to remind me how bad they were !!!!

Cheers

The Wobbler.

John - good work keep up the posts.....

Can you not just trim the fibre glass cover.

I've been thinking about taking mine off and putting a tank on off something else.

Then just a seat plate.

I like the idea of a comp bike with the right bits on Mikuni -rock shocks - quick throttle - foot pegs moved ....then a standard one to remind me how bad they were !!!!

Cheers

The Wobbler.

Had thought of that possibility or wondered if the 348 unit would fit as they are only £124.00 then get the 348 seat.

Funny you say about a comp bike and a stock bike, that was my thoughts today.