Cota 247 Swingarm Function?

alchemy84

Hi

I live in Spain and have found a great website for all new montesa parts

www.vallmoto.com

Had same problem with swingarm spindle,they sell them

Steve

Hi Steve, yes have their website details, the only thing that stops me just now is the £35.00 post and packing charge, the spindle is only around £10.00.

I managed to get a Bultaco one which is the same 12mm diameter and 250mm long, it fits great.

I was tempted to buy new fork stanchions and inners as it costs the same as getting them chromed in the UK!

John.

I've got a ty tank and I'm just going to mount a flat plate fir the seat.

Might need to manufacture an exhaust guard - I hate getting burnt!!!!

The old mont alloy tanks & covers are getting rare.

Ideally a plastic ty pinky tank is the thing -proper screw in fuel cap too !!!!

Look forward to seeing you use it in anger.

When they're done I'll try to get up your way for a trial.

Cheers

The Wobbler

John .

It's the only tank that will work as the petrol tap is on the right (non exhaust side).

The problem is I need a new tap and that's more than the tank cost.

My plan is to get it painted red - just to keep some authenticity.

Has anyone got a colour code for Montesa red ??

Cheers

The Wobbler

John .

It's the only tank that will work as the petrol tap is on the right (non exhaust side).

The problem is I need a new tap and that's more than the tank cost.

My plan is to get it painted red - just to keep some authenticity.

Has anyone got a colour code for Montesa red ??

Cheers

The Wobbler

Have a look at www.rsbikepaint.com I checked it out they have what you are looking for, just type in make model and year, you can even get it premixed in a aerosol.

Cheers

John.

Edited by johnmartin247

So I've finally made some headway on making new bushings for my swingarm. I really appreciate everyone's input and made the decision to replace rather than work with the originals. What I came up with was to use the axle and bushings from a 70's Honda CB350, which I had laying around. So here is how I am going to make the setup work.

First off the axle is to large a diameter to fit through the original frame holes, so I had to open them up a bit. The CB setup had an axle, which slipped into an inner bushing, which intern slipped into an outer bushing that was pressed into the swingarm. This is what I decided to duplicate. So reusing the axle and inner bushing I had to make an outer bushing to press into the Montesa swingarm. This setup will allow me to have a free moving swingarm that is fully grease-able. I will include a few pictures of what I made below and then a pic later this weekend when I get everything assembled.

The first pic is of (from left to right) the stock CB inner bushing, the outer bushing I made, and the two pieces together...the inner piece is free to rotate and has grease grooves, the outer piece gets pressed into swingarm.

The next picture shows the shoulder inside the bore that will keep the inner bushing in place, the inner bushing sticks out by .005" so that the outer piece will not come in contact with the frame.

post-20130-0-66727300-1408746196_thumb.jpg

post-20130-0-46971900-1408746341_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Nice work! I've dreamt of a lathe and mill since using them at Machine School as a teenager. They ARE coming!!! I can use a mates anytime but would dearly love my own.

Back in the day my Ducati (1982 MHR, purchased new, still have it) used to wear swing arm axles because it was not heat treated all that well and our roads are rough compared to Europe.

The solution was to true an axle by surface grinding. Removing enough material so the "hardchrome" guy could build it back to spec'd diameter. The axle ran in Phosphor Bronze bushes and needed scant lubrication and lasted many times the original setup.

I may have to do something similar with my Victory lower shock pivot pin. I replaced the original shock with a custom Penske Race Shock and noticed the pin has "polish" wear marks at 15,000k. It mic'd up perfect and no ridges felt but at 30k might need a new one or hardchrome.

Mags

• 3 months later...

Hi Alchemy, how did you get the two studs out of the swinging arm?. I think I have the same setup as you on my 1974 247. I have removed the swinging arm and as the "axle" appears to be stuck fast on both sides I am assuming its the same as yours, the problem is I can't get them out, any help would be greatly appreciated. I will be converting it to a more traditional setup, the other problem I have is that the holes in the frame are worn so the axle can freely move about but thats a whole other problem!