Tricker

billyt

I've seen a few things about this bike before. It's pretty crazy!

In case it's not obvious, it's intended to be ridden in a very similar way to a street/park BMX. One of the trickest things about it (which must have taken one hell of a lot of designing) is the gyro unit. If you're not familiar with BMX, this allows you to spin the bars through 360 degrees (or more) without any of your controls being compromised. Fairly simple on a BMX that only has 2 brake cables to worry about, not so simple when you start having to track hydraulic brake/clutch hoses through one! Scrap that, I've just worked it out. Cable clutch and throttle cable in a normal-ish (albeit double cable) BMX gyro and front brake host down through the fork steerer.

I can't quite imagine where you could ride something like this! I would have though trying to do BMX-esque stuff on the street would just be lethal (it's one thing having 30lb of BMX hurtling off down the road when you crash, it's quite another having 150lb odd of motorbike hurtling away) and also likely to get you arrested very quickly. I think the weight of something like this would total a normal skatepark if you took it in there, although I suppose it might be ok in some concrete parks.

Still, I've heard there are several videos of some crazy Japanese kids riding these as if they were BMXs. I've yet to track any of them down though.

edit some very interesting information on the 'Air Tricker' over here. From other sources, the engine is apparantly based on an YZ250F (the original Tricker used an xt225).

Edited by dan

• 4 weeks later...

Apparantly the tricker has been released in europe

http://www.yamaha-motor-europe.com/product...p?view=TECHINFO

this summer albeit minus the gyro headset - thats reserved for the tricker pro - which i'm not even sure has been released in japan - can only find exhibition pics of that.

If you want to play in bmx/skateparks check this out

chivicker.jpg

Looks a lot lighter (and probably way more fragile) than the tricker but could imagine flinging it about :blink:

cool tricker

050310-153816.jpg

i want!

anymore cool tricker stuff - post it up! Anybody know of any good jap import sites?

Ewan

Saw a stock tricker out in France last week. Looked good. Rider was playing on dry dirt mounds & on roads. Should have taken a pic...However rim sizes are not suited to off road tyres, which is a bummer as it looks just the tool for Trail Bike trials.

I still dont understand what/where you would ride it?

Very much doubt you would be allowed in a skatepark with one (a lot of parks dont even let mountain bikers in!!), or if so, you'd probably just get laffed out of there :blink: . Its just some sort of paddock bike thing.... Gimme a Thumpstar over that anyday!! :D:wall:

• 2 weeks later...

There are several trickers on the road here in HK..like the blue one that magicjuan sent a pic of.

BUT..the tricker PRO..is a much better looking/fun bike if you ask me, and I know that in Hong Kong, the pro is NOT allowed to be road registered...shame!!!..and I expect it will be the same elsewhere...

ALSO..yep its a great shame they didnt make it with 21 and 18 inch wheels!!