Hawkstone On Tv

mr doyle

I wouldn't expect too much. I didn't see a single TV camera the entire weekend (although I suppose that they're much smaller these days and there were plenty of people with camcorders... maybe it's a compilation of amateur footage :wall: )

I saw him interviewing the riders as they finished but i wouldn't expect 25 minutes of action.

Why are you always on a downer?

Lets have some positive thoughts from thi!

Tha always seem to be moaning/complaining.

Have to say I agree with Dabster in the case of Eurosport. In a half hour program there's maybe 10 minutes of actual riding shown. The rest is pointless interviews and 5 minutes lead in showing the local community and landmarks - fine in an hour long program but not a 30 minute one. Then there's over 5 minutes of adverts including my pet hate - trailers for other programs midway through a program instead of inbetween programs. All this if they bother to stick to their schedule of course as the live synchronised swimming might overrun.

I watched the WSB highlights from Brands last night. In race 2 they went for an advert and rejoined about 12 laps later - missing Chris Walker move up from about 7th to 4th. What do they think we want to see when they planned that..?

At the risk of turning this discussion into a pile-on, Eurosport really p*sses me off on a regular basis. Programmes almost never start at the advertised time, ad breaks always seem to occur at some critical point in the event being covered (and seem to consist almost entirely of trailers for forthcoming Eurosport coverage or crap compilation CDs that they can't shift from the 99p bin in Woolworths) and the commentary for many of the less well-known sports is obviously overdubbed after the event by someone who knows very little about the sport in question and/or comes across as completely disinterested.

Having said that, Eurosport's World Indoor series coverage is usually very good, made better by Jack Burnicle's obviously enthusiastic if occasionally wildly inaccurate commentary (I've started to think of him as the Murray Walker of off-road motorcycle sport). I prefer Eurosport's MotoGP team to the BBC as well (well, it's Randy Mamola mainly). Just sort out the bloody Champ Car, DTM and WEC scheduling would ya guys?

Have to say I agree with Dabster in the case of Eurosport. In a half hour program there's maybe 10 minutes of actual riding shown. The rest is pointless interviews and 5 minutes lead in showing the local community and landmarks - fine in an hour long program but not a 30 minute one. Then there's over 5 minutes of adverts including my pet hate - trailers for other programs midway through a program instead of inbetween programs. All this if they bother to stick to their schedule of course as the live synchronised swimming might overrun.

I wouldn't entirely blame Eurosport. They can only show what they're given and my experiences with Octagon have not been the best - to the point I complained to the FIM about their so-called press coverage over the reporting on the Indoor Championship this year. It was poor to say the least. I, personally, don't think they do Trials any favours. They picked it up cheap and don't have the dedication or enthusiasm that's required.

Yes, Jake Miller and I are buddies (DISCLAIMER: but not lovers as he'd have people believe!) Leaving our TOTALLY PLATONIC relationship aside - since he took on the Outdoor Championship reporting on behalf of the FIM, the quality of content has improved several hundred fold. Why? Enthusiasm. The guy is into Trials and that is reflected in the reports, the photos etc. To Octagon it's just another sport and one they dedicate little resource to.

I wouldn't entirely blame Eurosport. They can only show what they're given and my experiences with Octagon have not been the best - to the point I complained to the FIM about their so-called press coverage over the reporting on the Indoor Championship this year. It was poor to say the least. I, personally, don't think they do Trials any favours. They picked it up cheap and don't have the dedication or enthusiasm that's required.

Didn't Ishy have similar observations after his "altercation" with Octagon?

It was good actually

I agree that eurosport is annoying sometimes but any coverage is better than none

we dont see a lot of bike sport on tv in general but there is some good stuff on motors tv

but last nites show was quite good but to short

fugigasses monty made ragas 300 gaser look like a moped on that big climb

or was it a camera trick

Well done dougie.

So was it any good .....?

I was delayed at work and missed it ... can't see any re-run on the Eurosport schedules, though these only seem to extend to the weekend on the Eurosport website

I thought it was really bad. The commentating was really not good, they got the section numbers very badly (and very inconsistently) wrong! The shooting seemed to only show a small part of each section, often showing a huge close up of the bike before panning to follow it as it went up the section - this made it really hard to get any kind of perspective on the scale or difficulty of the section; the "high-lights" at the end seemed to all cut off just before showing you anything exciting!

A few clips were worth watching, but overall I was pretty dissapointed with the whole thing. Especially the coverage Graham Jarvis got - it seemed the only clips they showed of him were when he was falling off or struggling, not really very enjoyable viewing!