Tubeless Tyres (tires)

arun1664

I can understand why you would want tubeless tyres on a high performance motorcycle (in terms of BHP and speed on the road) but it escapes me as to why you would bother on a trials bike. Especially with the problems that seem to exist in sealing the rims round the spokes.

Can anybody explain the benefits please ?

Edited by arun1664

If you have ever been in the middle of nowhere and had a puncture you will understand why. packet of "turds" and air capsule and your away again.

Has there ever been tubless fronts on any trials bike?

Has there ever been tubless fronts on any trials bike?

Can't remember what year, but I rode a fantic (Orange one) in the SSDT that had a tubless front tyre.

You think a rear gets a bit scary popping it on with the compressor, well the front took it to a whole new level............Air line at arms length, looking in the other direction just in case the whole bl***y thing disintegrated.

Probably why they never continued ;):angry:

I was of the thinking that the reason the rear is tubeless is to stop pinching at very low pressure. If you have a tube and it gets sandwiched between the tyre and the rim going over a sharp ledge the tube punctures.

As far as slip goes I have always run two locks on both front and rear wheels on my Monty 360H7. Even at 20psi I found it impossible to keep nipples in the front. With two bead locks you can ride flat and still not have the tyre slip so I don't think tubeless makes much difference re. slip.

BJDownunder