Shirty's Comment On Next Yrs Wc

stormy normy

anybody can ride a mountain bike down a hill thats the difference

Ridden the odd SSDT and been to watch the downhill mountain bike course at Annoch Mor I would take my trials bike down the course but not a prayer on one with pedals? That's the difference!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting thread!

Trials as a spectator sport?... Well I've been riding and involved since 1974, 40 years this year. They tried to make trials more spectator friendly around the time I started and to be honest it has only met with mild success.

Take the SSDT, the crowds at the sections in the late 70's and early 80's would put a world round to shame now.

The WTC started in 1975 and was well suported by factories, trade and competitors, the crowds attended.

Will the WTC be succesful in the future? Who knows.

Does it sell more bikes?

Will city based trials increase popularity of the sport, they are still trying... we shall have to wait and see!

On the other hand take domestic speedway, huge spectator/fan following, family friendly sport, riders make a living from it, why? Because it is RACING and trials isn't true Racing!

Just a thought!

Big John

• Like 1

Been thinking about this (again!). Currently we have no restrictions on section design. Some of the problems are related to section design. Yes you have to hold a licence to set the sections but that may just relate to the safety / insurance issue rather than what makes a good section ? How could we set parameters for acceptable sections ? I do dislike watching the worlds best ride over 3 big rocks connected by large flat bits of grass.

Edited by baldilocks

I don't think trials is a spectator sport at all. I watched a clip of the btc that big john posted on facebook, watched all the five minute clip but tbh, I thought it was very boring to watch, and that's coming from a fan of trials.

I don't think trials is a spectator sport at all. I watched a clip of the btc that big john posted on facebook, watched all the five minute clip but tbh, I thought it was very boring to watch, and that's coming from a fan of trials.

I could say the same about football. 22 guys chasing a ball and with a little luck they might score 1,2,3 or maybe even 4 goals! In 90 minutes 4 goals! And at the slightest hint of an injury the grown man fall, in what seems to be excruciating pain, on the ground. Boooring. But I think some might disagree with me. It's just how you look at it.

• Like 1

I could say the same about football. 22 guys chasing a ball and with a little luck they might score 1,2,3 or maybe even 4 goals! In 90 minutes 4 goals! And at the slightest hint of an injury the grown man fall, in what seems to be excruciating pain, on the ground. Boooring. But I think some might disagree with me. It's just how you look at it.

You may not be a football fan, so you may be slightly biased against it. My point is I'm a rider and a fan of trials but I don't know anyone who thinks it's a spectator sport, and I've been to the six days and btc rounds in the past.

What were all the people doing at the European Championship in Bilstain last weekend? They seem to have had a good time.

It may never be a hugely popular sport, but you're generalizing and projecting a very personal view i.m.o.

No, I'm not "generalising" at all, I'm telling you how it is....in my opinion, I'm also telling you I don't know anyone who thinks it's a good spectator sport.

So me and 6000 other "spectators" are a bunch of idiots wasting our time and money at the Belgian round of the WTC.
You don't get to define what a spectator sport is, the ones that do enjoy it prove you wrong, and that's all that matters.
You're entitled to your opinion, but that's it.
Edited by guys

From the way I read your posts, your both right in your own way

The Belgium trial looked to me , to be the best W trial in years and years. I wish I'd gone. 6000 is a good turn out for 2014 but the figures as are always inflated and I take them with a big pinch of salt. The real figure week be nothing compared with past days of trial.

Different age groups will always argue thier era was better..... it's always been that way and always will be. My trial loving farther in law used to bore the crap out of me saying his years were better.

But perhaps your the same age ?

Putting to one side subjective opinion looking back with memories and photos , the crowds have been gradually getting smaller and smaller since the 50's. This is generally accepted.

I think trials is a spectator sport , but it's a dying one. Trials is like a teenager growing up with no boundaries in life. It's done what its wanted all these years with no supervision .It's been hitting the booze hard and smoking .

It's now grown up and it's out of control. It's so screwed up and now it's so bloody hard to put back into line.

Will it once again attract real spectators numbers like the 50's 60's and 70's.

Nope.... the World has moved on and trials is screwed up way beyond the little tickle Michaud is giving it.

It just needs to be enjoyed for what it is

Edited by gasgas249uk
  • Like 1

You're right, that's all I've ever given here, my opinion, get over it.

So I should keep my opinion to myself? Not gonna happen I'm afraid. :moon::P

(I'm telling you how it is' is not an opinion but a statement.)

Edited by guys