Why 250cc Max?

rev`er

the rules are statin that you will need to ride a 125cc but it has been worked so anyone in b youth on a 250 at the moment will continue to do so thats what mags our club secetary said so if you have a 250 and you are b class you will still be able to ride it next year.i would have to agrre wi pete that a 125 is an alright wi bike if it is ridden right and will do most things a 250 will.ishy proved that and yes pete it was a sherco

Yes I did complete the six days on a 125 Sherco, but I didn't prove anything that hadn't been proved many times before.

I couldn't answer what the smallest capacity bike ever to win the event was, probably bigjohn, would be the man to answer that question.

As for schoolboys riding 125's I think it is a good transition and learning curve getting the most out of a small motor can only mean when you do move up you will have extra power in reserve, the smaller capacity bike does have good advantages over the bigger bikes in some conditions, traction is easier to find as the power is less likely to break traction.

Some post I see stating they would never ride a 125 cc machine probably are based on the fact they own bigger machines and not experience, my take on this would be don't knock it until you tried it and keep an open mind on capacity and two or four stroke machines, otherwise things have a tendency to come back and bite you on the bottom.

Starting out in trials I found the biggest factor on which machine I rode was what I could afford at the time and the bottom end of the second hand market was were my bikes used to come from, the only thing that has changed over the years of riding club events is I can now afford new bikes, the fun factor remains the same.

So enjoy it while you can :ph34r:

Edited by ishy

I spent some time on a friend's son's GasGas 125 this weekend and was amazed what it was capable of, even with my lardy a*** on board. The only time it felt remotely gutless was on long, steep uphills - the kind of thing you ride for fun and are unlikely to find in a section.

Probably goes back to the days when a 250cc road bike was the largest a 17 year old could ride without a full licence. Now that 125 is the largest (throughout europe I believe) that is what the FIM have settled on. I think that in the states they have 125 MOPEDS in some states and licences are not required in others for "small" bikes.

I recently had a shot of an 03 125 gasser, i thought it was a bit weak!!

after being on a 250 for a while i wouldnt go back!!

I was just wandering because mags said theyll be scruiteneering this year at our clubs because of youths riding 290`s and 270`s

cheers

Well, this has wandered in to a slightly different subject, but I feel that I am continuing on in this same vein.

I happen to now own (actually it is my daughters) the Famous Pizza bike from Ishy.

Yesterday, I had a flat on my 290 on the second ride of the day, (both beads touching in the middle of the rim and the wheel spinning in the tire.) This was at our first event of the season.

I limped home and after pushing up this incredible mud hill in the pits with a front tire locked with red georgia clay with a spare tire to mount on my shoulder I sat at the back of the trailer and thought about changing it and saw my daughters bike there, clean, gassed and ready to go. A careful addition of a letter A to her # plate that already carried a W made it an accurate representation of my initials which were Wise A$$ to my favorite club Prez and away we went.

I went and got out my converter deal and boys I weigh right at 18 stone (250 lbs) and am an old fart compared to many of you. And definetely out of shape.

I was very impressed with the bikes performance. I did some very large rock steps, roll ups, logs etc. on this bike and it never hesitated. I was slightly regretting that last week I had changed out to the lighter rear shock spring and set the suspension up for my daughters 110 lbs (8 stone)! To say it was a little soft for me is an understatement!

What I am getting at, is that the little bike was more than capable of carrying my fat butt up some fairly decent steps of about 1/2 Dwight High and so you little skinny guys should have no power problems whatsoever on one of these machines.

I have a picture of Will Ibsen on a step well over a Dwight on a 125, so if that is what your class requires, I would have no fear of riding one.

Edited by Alan Bechard

i haven't ridden any modern bikes smaller then a 250cc

so i can't say i don't like the 125's

but i have had a go on a TY80 and TY125

i thought the TY was gutt less, and so was the 80

but the 80 was so much fun, mainly because of its size, it made a 2 foot log a very big obstacle, wheelies were alot of fun though

i guess its a little off topic but ohwell

i just wish i had spare money to go and buy a little GG50 to play on

just for kicks ;)