Homemade Workstand

dr nick

I have been designing a full length bike workstand made out of wood for my garage.The hydraulic ones are to expensive and cannot be stored away when not used.

when I put my bike on a normal stand I find that it is to low to work on(with a bad back),so need something higher up.

The design is quite simple (has to be) and only needs the bike to be pushed (or ridden) up a ramp .Once in place the normal bike stand can then be put underneath or the bikes own stand can be used.

It is also designed to be portable so it can be sored away when not needed (space very limited in my garage)

What I want to know really ....what do you people think the height of it should be (I was thinking about 20") and should I add any little extras to it to make certain things easy.

Any Ideas and answers appreciated

Regards

N

Edited by Dr Nick

The height all depnds on whether you are going to to be sitting at it on a stool or standing at it. If you plan to sit (as I would) you need to take your seated height as the main factor as to the stand height. It would need to be a min. of 20" to be comfy at.

Sherco dude....The stand or bench ,I am making,is the full length of the bike ,so that the 2 wheels are actually on the bench/stand .....not the type you put under the bash plate and lift it up with.

But the one I am making cant be moved up or down ,so what I want is assistance in gauging the height I need for ease of use.

sorry if I`ve confused anybody else ...seemed quite straight forward when I read it through...but there you go

cheers Oceanvibe

regards

N

I like to stand if space is short...so I can move all around the bike easily. If you have a lot of space and a smooth floor and can scoot around on a chair with wheels, by all means make it lower.

As for height...assume that the majority of your work will be done between the axle and airbox height, so raise the bike up so that part is right in front of you.

This will be too high for comfortably working on handlebars/controls, etc. but that can be done with the bike on a recycleable workstand (spackle bucket) on the floor.

Make it plenty wide for putting down tools/parts.

thanks for the replys

Charlie ...my garage floor now has a fully fitted carpet but I will be scooting around on a small chair on wheels.I just didnt want to guess at a height for the bench/stand and it be to low,so I will go with Oceanvibes measurement as it seems about right :blink:

HRC...

I've been using a fold up table that my work was throwing away. The table is 6 feet long and 30 inches wide. The wheels end up over the legs so the support is good for a trials bike. I wouldn't want anything heavy on it though. I can put a regular stand under it to work on the wheels. I just use a piece of plywood to spread out the weight from the middle. The tie downs fit on a little lip under the table. Plenty of room for tools. So far so good. I just use a ramp to wheel the bike up on the table. The best part (like on monster garage) is FREEBEE!

I have a lift I made out of a nursing home patient lift. It has a frame & wheels, with a vertical tubing mast. On the back side there is a crank wheel that moved the arm up and down via a roller chain in a channel. Originally the arm had attachment for a sling to lift people out of bed and into wheel chairs, etc. It was also FREE as the nursing home was converting to electric lifts. Had I know how well it would work out I would have haulled away a dozen of the hoists.

I cut off the arm, welded a plate onto that and built a structure that bolts to the plate. bike is supported at each wheel, with a lift out portion in between the wheels. One wheel is clamped with a vise made to fit on the hydraulic lift tables http://www.handyindustries.com/airlift.asp

BTW, I have one of their tables and they are awesome product for the money. bit spendy for home workshop though.

For working on suspension or wheels, I clamp one end of the bike in the vise, then use a small jack under the skid plate and hold the other end up in the air.

I like to work standing up, the best for my old back. That puts the framework/bottom of the wheels about 40 inches off the floor.

Having a place for shallow pans is helpful: One pan for clean tools, one for towels and rags and drippings, one for parts being taken off, etc. I use aluminum cake pans about 9 x 15 inches (rummage sales).

I can email you some pics, don't know how to post here.

k