Gearbox Problems

wonder boy

You sure it's the selector seal? If one or more of the casing bolts aren't tightened properly, a hard impact on the bash plate can cause the whole (clutch) side casing to move slightly and break the oil seal. This happened to me on my previous bike and I've heard of several others where the same thing happened.

It pretty easy to fix - water pump off, side case off, new gasket (make sure that you use one of the paper type ones) and put it all back together. There's a bolt right at the bottom of the case behind the rubber that's usually the cause of the problem. It's worth chopping a lump out of the rubber so that this bolt is more easily accessible for checking for tightness in the future.

If it is the selector seal, the same process (and the same advice re. paper gasket) applies! No need to drop the engine and it's a half hour job (excluding refitting the bash plate which took me ages!)

I hope everybody doing the case gasket job is using a C clamp to pull the skid plate back into place before replacing the screws. This makes the job a piece of cake. I think The one I used was a 6 inch one.

Obviously, Wonder Boy is a better rider than we are... his bash plate hasn't been tweaked. I have to partially snug the front bolts and use a 6" C-clamp (as RonM stated) to draw the back end together.

This process requires at least three beers and about 1 hour to complete.

OBTW, the '06 rear fender looks gay.