Bultaco 198A

mjc477

Hi MJC, now you own a Bulto, this is when the learning curve, really starts. In no time you'll be a 'bulto anorak' ...just like the rest of us. I've found the biggest consideration, is 'deep pockets' and even longer arms and big fingers. Buying a 40 odd year old Bulto, it's a bit like an ice berg, it's not what you see, it's really the bits you don't see...which are important. first thing i'd do...take out the wheels..check the chrome brake drum running surfaces, there's many a beautiful Bulto listed on evil bay, that looks loverly, but underneath..crap. If you've got good hubs, that's almost half the battle, stanchions next....hope thier ok. The correct swing arm £30-£50 squid on evil bay, and that monstrosity of a swinging arm, could be sold on evil bay...some 'did low' would love it, probably make £200 squid, or there abouts. Anyways..good luck with your project, i'd take it very softly-softly, learn before you spend, rather than spend before you learn. Ask loads of questions, you'll be amazed at the diversity of replies, most will probably be from the 'moron fraternity' or individuals trying to make a 'few bob', but also many genuine bultaco enthusiasts.

• Like 2

It does look like one of Steve Wilson's swingarms, it's the same appearance, but whether they were longer than the original I don't know.

It may appear longer as the shock bottom mount could be located further forwards, which gives the impression that it is longer. Hard to know but obviously measuring will prove it.

I don't know whether he did just a swingarm as a straight replacement or whether it came as part of a complete frame kit and one has just found its way onto your bike. If it was just a replacement swingarm I'd expect it to be the same length, can't see any point in it being longer, otherwise it makes a longish bike even longer. If it was part of a complete frame kit, it could be longer as he could have reduced the head angle on his own frame.

Which fraternity does that put me in....

Cheers guys for all the replys

I hope to get the bultaco on the ramp this weekend if I can finish the current project hogging it at the moment..

Then I will definately get some clear pictures of the swing arm etc up for all to see....

The picture below was posted on here some time back but it does clearly show a similar arm on it...I will have to compare....

I got the bultaco as I thought it would be a cheaper experience to the multi cylinder Hondas I am used too.....1 piston 2 rings etc compared to 4 of everything....you can only hope I suppose...

post-11861-0-31568000-1413320436_thumb.jpg

Edited by mjc477

Hello MJC, Just measured 198a swinging arm, standard as came from the factory 16ins measured from middle swingarm pivot to middle rear axle at halfway adjustment (give or take 1/4 ins). Measured the 198 that seems to be the same length. The 199b measured that also, that comes out at 17ins, but that's an oval/ comerfords/ Reg May swinging arm, as supplied new/complete bike. Bondy could probably give the measurement of a square section Bultaco swinging arm, also would be interesting to know if 198b and 199b (250 compared to 350) factory square swinging arms are the same length ! Why Comerfords changed the swinging arms, on the UK bikes, Reg isn't here anymore to tell us, somebody may know the true answer, maybe clearance for mud, or more stable on climbs. The other UK feature was the coffin tanks, made in Birmingham (so i'm told) , does anybody remember the name of the manufacturer, or know of one for sale, identifying feature, only alloy tank to use the two bolt (plastic tank) fuel tap, as opposed to the 12mm tap.

Edited by ask greeves

greeves you will be lucky to find 1 off thoes tanks. i bought the new Alloy tank from inmotion same shape as a plastic tank but they do look very nice once painted. sadly i sold the bike but do intend to buy another from inmotion for my 199B i will Measure the 198B S/Arm.

Which fraternity does that put me in....

Neither a moron or a self induced egotistical self rightous pumped up excuse, but one of the few people on this site, that deserve some respect, unfortunatley you let yourself down, by having the temerity to criticising a minor spelling mistake, where in the same paragraph you also made a fopar........So you've gotta be......A Nerd with motorcycle tendencies.

• Like 1

The swinging arms were lengthened on the M182/183[1976] by about 10mm. I am pretty confident all the swinging arms from that point on are all the same length. The Comerford bikes could have longer units as some of them had the S/arm pivot moved closer to the engine which would mean a longer arm to keep the same wheelbase. The longer swinging arms have a rectangular bottom shock mount with an additional hole for pillion pegs, whereas the earlier ones have a smaller triangular mount without the extra footpeg mounting holes. PS I think the information on this forum is very honest and put on with the best of intentions, just maybe some people have varying degrees of mechanical & product knowledge. The thing about any restoration on a Bultaco is that the more you can do yourself the cheaper it will be and I personally feel the greater the satisfaction, and keep in mind they are easy to work on and that pretty much everything is available for them.

Cheers Greg

Edited by sherpa325
  • Like 2

Neither a moron or a self induced egotistical self rightous pumped up excuse, but one of the few people on this site, that deserve some respect, unfortunatley you let yourself down, by having the temerity to criticising a minor spelling mistake, where in the same paragraph you also made a fopar........So you've gotta be......A Nerd with motorcycle tendencies.

Well, thing is A-G, back then you were having a peculiar rant and letting fly at everyone for some reason - but that was then and consigned to history

My earlier comment was firmly tongue in cheek.Your reply I'll take in the same vein with good humour and no offence - made me chuckle actually

• Like 1

I'm a motorcycle guy with nerdy tendencies, and a bit :wacko: on the side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgMgkl-gRxk

Edited by guys