Tl320 '80 Poor Rear Brake

iconic558

Hi guys, new cable and yes i have around 90' brake arm angle....hubs dont 'look' worn with no lip to speak of....the shoes seem very hard though, I'm wondering if they may of been cooked or something? I do have a fair amount of brake plate wear on the cam bush area though...actual cam is OK.

Front brake is fine but shoes look newer and softer.

Do the brake pads touch the inliner inside the hub well or are there just areas which have contact?

You might check out if they touch proper f. e. with chalk placed on the brake pads, then carefully

mount the brake again, engage the lever once and firmly! Then dismantle the brake again and take a look

to the pads, if everything is "wiped" away it's at least not a problem related to bad aligned pad's ...

Fortunately you are in possession of a test rig in which you can assess the shoes - the front brake.

Swap shoes front to back and vice versa and see if the problem/solution moves with the shoes. Assuming the braking surface of the hub is not contaminated then you have nothing to lose.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Was just the linings needing bedding in....ran her around dragging the brake for 10 mins (thats quite some time to be doing nothing else!) and works 100% now...can lock her on dry tarmac sitting down but progressive too, just as good as any rear disc Ive had.

Edited by iconic558
  • Like 1