Can A Ty Be A Dual Sport Bike?

19delta

I ride beta rev 3 right now, but saw an old kawasaki 175 enduro bike the other day at a friends house, and ever since I have been wondering if its even possible to get a TY and make it a dual purpose bike? Something I could ride to work, and still play in the woods.

I assume not, but wanted someone to help get it out of my head. :stupid:

PS. I realize its possible to put a light and turn signals on any bike, but I'm wondering if it's a legitimate option. Example, there is now way I would ride my rev 3 on the road as a way to commute and enjoy the ride.

So fast as to erase memory.

Not fast on trials gearing but can easily be geared up. Though having said that I recall Mick Wikinson telling the audience at one of Wrighty's evenings that he and Rob Edwards didn't seem able to lose Debbie Evans on a TY 175 when they were racing round the Scottish.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

Not fast on trials gearing but can easily be geared up.

That's what I wondered. I was hoping someone would say first gear was for trials, and useless for street, and the rest were spaced so far apart that the upper gears made it road worthy.

I think maybe I'm better off looking at another bike to be the dual sport I want. Something that is fun and enjoyable on the road, and is at least acceptable off road. Any recommendations? Remember, I'm in the USA.

Thanks Mate's!

Kawasaki Super Sherpa and Yamaha XT250 are both good choices for Trials type dual sporting,the Kawasaki won't take a trials tire though,plenty of D/S tire choices that are good.Possibly hunting down a TLR200 Reflex Honda if you want an even more trials type dual sport.

I have a Kawasaki KLX250,it's a great dualsport but since I am now a 95% trials only rider it feel too big to get into really tight stuff,but does well when I ride in D/S group rides.

Pavement bores the crap out of me.....plus I live due west of where I work,so commuting is riding into the sun both directions :-P not for me!

I had a Whitehawk 175 back in the day, This one was built with a DT gearbox instead of the TY.

It left my riding buddies TY175 for dust every time on the straights, We were crazy between the sections!!

I really beat the hell out of that old thing.

Here's the old girl with a cracked frame, I was a crazy teenager and the bike was out of date and not worth anything back then.

So wish I had it now!!!

tn_Whitehawk_zpsb3eba9e9.jpg

Edited by steve_earle
  • Like 1

I used my TY the first years a lot on the roads too. It was a 125cc and did the "job" quite well. I still had then the autolube installed which was pleasant for refueling at any gas station. But the trials tires wear quick. The gearing should be taller easiest way is to replace the front sprocket.

I had 15 front so I could ride at least 80 - 90 km/h at a longer time. 100km/h were only possible with full throttle and wasn't so pleasant 'cause the wheels weren't balanced.

• Like 1