Kick Starter Issues 2011 Gg 280

magicmat

Hi all,

Having ridden my new (to me) gasser yesterday, i struggled to start the darn thing most of the day.

The only way to describe it was like the kick starter wasnt quite engaging, to be honest the only way to describe it was.. Imagine the kick starter has its own clutch and it was slipping,

It was as if the engine wasnt turning enough for the kick...

.. if that makes sense?

Im suspecting the kick start gearing is worn or has the problem that i seem to be reading about.

Does this ring any bells for anyone?

Thanks

Matt

The gasser takes a certain kick to start. In fact some people never get the hang of it. It takes a short quick kick. You need to slowly kick it to top dead center, bring the kicker back to the top. Make sure the lever is engaged and kick a fast kick. It will never start with a slow lazy kick. Some riders can start it first kick every time, some give up and buy another brand. That`s how I got my boys bike, the previous owner hated to `try` to start it.

• Like 1

Hi mate

I've just got the same model, and year as you have, and it's my first gasser.

I've been told to first do as slow soft kick, as if your not tryin to start it

then find the top of the stroke with the kickstart and just put ur foot through it .....

I haven't got it all worked out , but it's getting easier every time I go out....

Stick without mate lol

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Having ridden my new (to me) gasser yesterday, i struggled to start the darn thing most of the day.

The only way to describe it was like the kick starter wasnt quite engaging, to be honest the only way to describe it was.. Imagine the kick starter has its own clutch and it was slipping,

It was as if the engine wasnt turning enough for the kick...

.. if that makes sense?

Im suspecting the kick start gearing is worn or has the problem that i seem to be reading about.

Does this ring any bells for anyone?

Thanks

Matt

It rings a bell for me. Sounds like your kickstarter was put back on one tooth to the rear of where it should be. It's amazing what a difference this can make. If the kickstart is put back on the spline angled too far forward it's almost impossible to kick over. That was my problem. When it's angled too far back, again just one tooth, it doesn't engage enough to push the piston through two compression cycles so it won't fire up. Put the kickstart forward a tooth and see how it goes!

Typical Gas Gas, Just make sure you engage the kickstart gear by moving the lever till it catches then give it a good prod to get the motor spinning, can take 2 or 3 kicks when warm depends on luck.

It's important to engage it 1st so you don't smash the teeth up.

Ex Sherco owners have it to a tee as they slip unless you pre engage them.