Leaky Carb

hrmad

Hi guys,

I went out today, fuel only lasted half the time it normally does. I found the bike leaking with the fuel switched on out of the carb, as pictured. It was only the outlet circled in red that leaked, the other hoses did not.

I've been practising launching the bike off a 3ft drop off and jumping it using banks, could landing hard have effected the floats or the needle valve in some way?

post-20468-0-54278600-1426004051_thumb.jpg

post-20468-0-98560600-1426004064_thumb.jpg

As said strip it and give it a good clean out preferably with compressed air then do a couple of easy setup/carb mods to it. If you Pm me your email address I can email you a pdf on how to do the mods and plenty of info on here too.

There is a guide on youtube on how to strip and clean the carb if you haven't done it before its for a ski doo I think but virtually the same carb.

• Like 1

take off the float bowl and take the needle out and give it all a good clean and a blow with an airline, will just be some **** stopping the needle seating properly.

Thank you, unfortunately I don't have an airline, but I'll try my best with what I've got.

As said strip it and give it a good clean out preferably with compressed air then do a couple of easy setup/carb mods to it. If you Pm me your email address I can email you a pdf on how to do the mods and plenty of info on here too.

There is a guide on youtube on how to strip and clean the carb if you haven't done it before its for a ski doo I think but virtually the same carb.

Ok, cool thanks :)

I would try and borrow a compressor or find somebody with one that you can use when I did mine a big lump of muck came out of one of the air passages without a compressor I doubt it would have come out.

If you haven't got a compressor you can put a short length of fuel line in the end of your foot pump and stamp away to blow through the bits in the carb.

Sounds like the float valve needs replacing or there's some muck in it like others have said.

Be carefull when adjusting the floats, A properly set up Mikuni will dribble some fuel when bounced about or parked at an angle. There's some so called leaking carb fix posts on here that will make the bike run too lean by over adjusting floats.

If it wasn't leaking before, find the root of the problem but don't dive straight in and adjust floats unless it's a last resort.

Check the floats have not gone porus, They can fill up with fuel, Give them a shake to make sure they are empty.

Hi Heather,

I didn't see it mentioned but that is the overflow for the float bowl so either something is depressing the floats. or as mentioned a piece of dirt is holding the needle open causing too high a fuel level in the float bowl. Fortunately the Mikuni has a removable float needle seat.

Careful blowing things out that there is NO flame or source of ignition nearby. Wear safety glasses, You will be making an aerosol out of what ever fuel may be in the carb body. You don't want to know what it's like in the business end of the combustion chamber. Believe me, I have the record for the 250cc flaming Bultaco throw.

Thanks for all the advice.

I'll take the carb down to a friend who has an airline.

I had the carb out and cleaned around 2 months ago, perhaps it's down to riding a lot in mud, streams and wet weather. The last couple of rides she has been a bit harder to start and hasn't run very nicely low in the rev range.

The addict, with all the scaremongering about fuel injection bet you're still glad you haven't this kind of issue, 7 years, heresy I say! ;)

And don't worry, I'll heed the safety advice Dan, I like my hair and eye brows as is haha

• Like 1

The above suggestions will probably sort your problem but if they don't the check the spring loaded plunger on the float valve. It should move freely and smoothly any roughness at all can cause it to move irregularly causing intermittent flooding.