When To Move Up A Class?

flattrack steve

So last weekend I road my first trials event and came in first place. I entered as a novice not knowing what to expect or where I would fit in. My score for the day was a 29 with 13 cleans on a nine section three loop course. On this day my nearest competitor scored around the mid 40's. Just wondering how you all determine when you should move up a class? I want to keep my self challenged but also don't want to end up coming in dead last all the time either.

That means you had 14 sections that you averaged a two. Every event is different, sometimes new location and a different person setting the section. Also depends on your physical and age. Moving up can be great or the reason people quit. I only rode novice once, I came in with a two. I rode to compete back then, now I only ride for fun. Having fun is much more relaxing.

If you enjoyed yourself in the novice class stick to that for a bit. There is no pressure to move up, for the majority of us trials is just for fun. When you want more of a challenge, move up in your own time. If you get a chance to after the trial finishes have a go on the route above you and see how you do :)

• Like 1

first of all, well done steve, coming first on your first trial is a great start, like has been said before, i would do a few different trial meetings before you move up, last weekend i came last doing the white route with 36 points but if i could get 36 points at my own clubs trial i would be a very happy man, it is a competitive sport but the last thing you want to do is take the fun out of it, good luck for the future m8.

Do some more trials in the same class, 5 or 10 more, then if you win all of them you should move up a class!

Like has been said every trial is different, and some you will win some you won't, as long as you are enjoying yourself!

I know of some that stay in the novice class because they win all the time, so the trophy collection is growing, good to show your friends I suppose, but it's not challenging themselfs or fair on the other novices!

There should be a rule in the clubs, if you win "x" amount of times in a certain class you should move up.

But how would they control it???

Well done for wining your first trial, I once did the same when I was in my teens, I won my class at a trials day, was really happy until I looked and see that I was the only twin shocker there that day!

When I was a kid in New England , (1970's !) The NETRA moved you up automatically , I don't remember what the conditions were , but there was no sandbagging allowed .... Boy I wish sometimes I had made better life defining decisions ....

Glenn B)

So last weekend I road my first trials event and came in first place. I entered as a novice not knowing what to expect or where I would fit in. My score for the day was a 29 with 13 cleans on a nine section three loop course. On this day my nearest competitor scored around the mid 40's. Just wondering how you all determine when you should move up a class? I want to keep my self challenged but also don't want to end up coming in dead last all the time either.

I would not get too cocky as that was a fun event and no one was there. The year starts this weekend at Turkey Rock. Great place to ride. If you want to have fun , come down to New Mexico June 6th and 7th at http://www.sipapunm.com/ You will not be disappointed. Ask anyone, Stan or your fine president as he is from our club! Have fun and good luck!

Thanks for the invite lineaway! Would love to go to an out of state trial if the budget allows. Just have to figure out if I'll go north to Casper I think it is or south. Definitely not trying to be cocky just that as we can only change classes once I want to get it right. Glad to hear that that was a small turn out as the novice class was looking like it maybe a lonely place to be. I was going to have a hard time making it to turkey rock as is but found clutch issues with the bike that will definitely make it a no go. Should have it sorted out for series 2 and 3. Should be a bit easier/fun to ride without a dragging clutch.