World Trials Championship

slapshot 3

My old Grifter could never do that!!

your old what? :rolleyes:

bloody kids these days no sense of history!!!

Raleigh bicycle made in the late 70's early 80's very chunky (read heavy) and could cope with me and the stupid things I used to do without an engine. Pre the first BMX bikes but I just broke the BMX anyway, 6 if I remember rightly. You Youngsters don't know what you missed!!!

Whip off the naff handle bars, the saddle and all the other pointless bits, stick on an old pair of Fathers renthals a proper saddle and bobs your uncle. Bunny hops, endos riding sideways up steps, we were doing that stuff 25years ago, never mind now...... see some notes below and hopefully the pic will work as well

from nostalgia.com

Launched in 1976, the Grifter became the ultimate 80s bike - chunky and funky with hand-twist gears . . . This was BMX before BMX. You even got blisters on the insides of your hands (from doing wheelies you understand!)

And with a deft fold of the rear mud flap you had a realistic moto-cross noise - even if it did leave a U shaped melted hole on your flap (oo-er missus).

Edited by Slapshot 3

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's difficult, if the front wheel stops moving it's a 5, dead simple.

Fact. They tried out a stop detector fitted to the front wheel with a view to making no-stop compulsory. Dougie was the tester and rode the obstacles in the test on the back wheel. Detector whinged like hell, but he didn't stop forward motion.

I'm supposed to remain neutral, but having had a good insight into the World Championship this year, I think it works great as it is. The time is so tight in the sections it makes it almost no-stop. I see no reason to change it.

What was debated in the pub on Saturday night - and what I totally agree with, is that if our riders are going to develop then they have to be playing by a standard set of rules and those are the FIM rules. To expect them to rise through the grades under one set of rules then make the next step under another is totally unfair on them.

I agree 100% Andy, what's good for the world championship is good for the world championship.

But is it good for the sport of trials carried out every weekend all around the world,don't clubs need to be able to do what is best for the individual club.

Same goes for young riders showing promise, does the club sacrifice it's membership by catering for an hopeful ?

The question should be what is best for the sport of trials ? if the sport at club level can thrive, the world class riders will be the first ones who get the benefit from it.

My take on world round rules is let them get on with it, just leave the rest of us alone, history has shown trying to comply at club level kills entries.

The FIM have now three classes and section severities to get the same or less participation than they had in the one class 20 years ago, why?

The question should be what is best for the sport of trials ?

Well IMHO, the future of the sport lay in whether it can attract the youth in sufficient numbers.... That bike Video of Matt shows what these guys can do.. pulling a wheelie for the length of my back lane was the best feat I could achieve at that age.. :rolleyes:

I believe that if we make the sport something that they want to do, then it has a bright future :D

If you try and think about the difference between the youth and the oldies, then I reckon its this.

If you get through a section with a clean then your happy. A good youth likes to get through on a clean........ but with style :D its more rewarding.

Thats the difference I think.

When it comes to what is best for trials perhaps take a look at the current UK scene. British Championship has about 15 ?? riders in the main class and less than 30 ?? in the support class? The difference in ability between the top 4 or 5 in the Main class and the rest is huge and has been for the last (how many??) years. There are a few from the schoolboys pushing through but to Jarvis' level?

My question is, if these are the sort of trials people want, why aren

I tend to aggree with Ishy - the sport used one scoring system for about forty years, before they added a "2" for two dabs. The FIM have changed the rules for World Trials so many times in the last few years I've lost count.

If this is better for the the elete "Circus" so be it, but ordinary clubs should be left to run whatever rules work for them. The young riders all want to leap high in the air and do exciting and usually quite dangerous antics - that is why the sport of MX and MX Freestyle have such huge entries - However I also talk to a lot of parents at Motorcycle shows who want their kids to take up Trials because it's safer. Lets not forget it is the parents who are buying these bikes. - Most club events these days consist of 3-4 laps around a field - a far cry from the old days where 100 miles in one day was the norm. - the exception of course is the Scottish - which as one member correctly posted nearly went into early retirement because of the new rules - only when they reverted back to "No Stop' did the entry list get over-subscribed.

The point is that if a huge event like the Scottish has to run different rules to stay alive, then why can't the local clubs be left to do the same? - young riders will adapt to whatever rules prevail, and if this means they have to practice different techniques to compete at Championship levels - then that is what they will do - the ACU Youth Training - and the Spanish System of developing the young guns seem to be working very well - this is now also being copied in the States. - I just hope the FIM continue to look after the World scene and leave the rest of us to carry on with what works for us.

Don't agree with no-stop as it is difficult to observe, the time limit in the section works fine.

What's difficult, if the front wheel stops moving it's a 5, dead simple.

sorry boys just catchin up..

Picture this scenario.

A top British rider is testing a device that automatically lets the observer knows the front wheel has stopped turning. The said rider wheelies through the section with the front wheel locked and promptly gets a five. Dead simple.....yeah right!

Not nearly as simple as a time limit, which is very difficult to argue against.

Picture this scenario.

A top British rider is testing a device that automatically lets the observer knows the front wheel has stopped turning. The said rider wheelies through the section with the front wheel locked and promptly gets a five. Dead simple.....yeah right!

Not nearly as simple as a time limit, which is very difficult to argue against.

You mean like a rider is a good twenty feet from the end cards when the time whistle blows but still doesn't get penalised a five.

It's thier problem let them sort it out, providing those who want too, can go watch, I don't think many care two hoots what they do at world level.

Two different games. and should be run that way.

For younger riders to learn the tricks of the world round trade, they need to be learning them off the world round tricksters, isn't that what the 125, and junior championships are about ?