Titanium Exhaust Pipe

crusoe123

I was wondering what effect a titanium front pipe has on the engine characteristics, does it alter because these pipes are of different shape or material? 

Or do they do nothing at all and are just aesthetically pleasing on the eye? 

Are they worth the money?

Cheers

• Like 1

It's all shape. The pipe material has no effect on engine characteristics. The main benefit is weight saving. One downside is the titanium header seems to be hotter near the exhaust port than a steel pipe. Possibly because titanium is not as good of a thermal conductor as steel so it doesn't distribute the heat as well.

If you can find a copy of Gordon Jenning's book, "The Two-Stroke Tuner's Handbook" on-line (I've seen it as a PDF somewhere) it does an excellent job of explaining wave behavior in an exhaust system.

As odd as it seems electrical signals behave in exactly the same way. When I started to get into laying out transmission lines on circuit boards it all seemed very familiar because of my understanding of expansion chambers.

• Like 1

Half the weight and twice the price, still dent if knocked. Cheaper answer is for the rider to put less fuel in the tank or eat less......

I have been trying to lose a few pounds for years with no avail, so I mounted a Titanium exhaust in 30 minutes on my bike. Instant result!  :hyper:

I just put a bunch of titanium screws on my bike. I'm a big fan of the bling factor. Any effect on my riding? Nope. Sheer vanity.

I will say the titanium pipe on my '08 gave it a lovely growl.

Edited by dan williams
  • Like 1