Only Getting 1St And 2Nd Gear ?

cabby

Had the bike put tonight for the first time in months. Clattered about as usual and hit the odd rock or two, then noticed the gear lever a bit bent, then I couldn't find any other gears apart from first and second ??

What may I have done to cause this and what may be the sure ??

250 2014 factory replica.

You probably broke the sheer pin in the top hat. This is in place to protect the shift shaft. Its on the clutch side of the case. Remove the case cover, remove the clutch, then move the shifter. You will probably notice that the shift shaft is moving slightly independent of the top hat that its connected to. The top hat has a flat sheer pin in the middle of it and is spring loaded.  If you look at it with out moving the shifter you can't tell if its broken so only inspect it when moving the lever. It saves you a bunch of money and aggravation in splitting the cases. 

--Biff

• Like 1

I would say biffsgasgas is correct.

I, ve just had exactly the same problem on the same bike. After inspecting the top hat I found the sheer pin just very slightly bent. It was enough to stop me selecting any other gears other than first and second. I removed the top hat and straightened the pin. The spring was a pig to put back in position but it is all sorted now. So far so good, but I shall order a new top hat just in case it happens again!

Lineaway is right. Get a new top hat kit but if you want to be sure remove your clutch cover. Remove the clutch basket and watch what you see turning as you move the shift lever on the opposite side. If you notice that the shaft inside of the top hat moves independent of the piece then its a sure thing. If you try and repair this you might resolve the symptom now but eventually you might cause serious damage internally as the internal pieces would become the weak link. In retrospect i have seen other brands break their shafts where GG has this as a fail safe to save the internals. It sux to have this break but its nice to have this break versus the internals. 

I would keep a spare around if you are going to push the limits. I know I do.

--Biff

• 4 weeks later...

You cannot just straighten the pin, it has sheared. Now if you are a good welder, you could tack it. But the next big hit would break the links inside the shift drum.

You can and I have and its been fine for months.

This said, I have got a new top hat and spring kit ready to go in, just in case it fails.

Hi Cabby,

Removing the clutch is dead easy. There is a small Allen bolt (socket head cap screw) in the centre. I think it needs about a 4mm Allen key wrench. Just undo that bolt and pull the whole clutch toward you.

Don't over-tighten that bolt when reassembling. It's hollow (to vent the gearbox through the hollow shaft) and should be just slightly more than finger tight.

Chris.

You probably broke the sheer pin in the top hat. This is in place to protect the shift shaft. Its on the clutch side of the case. Remove the case cover, remove the clutch, then move the shifter. You will probably notice that the shift shaft is moving slightly independent of the top hat that its connected to. The top hat has a flat sheer pin in the middle of it and is spring loaded.  If you look at it with out moving the shifter you can't tell if its broken so only inspect it when moving the lever. It saves you a bunch of money and aggravation in splitting the cases. 

--Biff

Biff'

Even if it is more than the shear pin across the top hat you dont need to split cases on a 14. It has the new mod that lets you pull the shift shaft out the right hand case.

The shaft is supported by a sealed bearing in the case body, and retained by a small bolt and washer. it is a snack to get out now.

And I'll second the fact that the pins can bend but not shear. I would personally replace it, but i can see how it could be straightened.

post-1604-0-87465600-1438598836_thumb.png

Biff'

Even if it is more than the shear pin across the top hat you dont need to split cases on a 14. It has the new mod that lets you pull the shift shaft out the right hand case.

The shaft is supported by a sealed bearing in the case body, and retained by a small bolt and washer. it is a snack to get out now.

And I'll second the fact that the pins can bend but not shear. I would personally replace it, but i can see how it could be straightened.

Hrmmm interesting. I wonder how they allow the shift shaft cams through the case then (circled in red). I have broken one of the cam lobes off in a past bikes life. Now i can't recall if i can see the end of the shift drum from the case side or not... Luckily an opportunity to save a dab yesterday will help me find out....

shiftshaft_zpsjx7q6lb8.png

As for me yesterday I do believe that i have also broken the "top hat" which I have circled in green. Of course i was trying to save a dab and well it didn't go as well as i planned. I will try and take a video then paste it on Youtube this week. 

--Biff

• Like 2

I am slightly confused by that picture above.

I need to remove the clutch to see if tophat is broken but seems the tophat is actually at the gear lever side, is that right ??? cause that's how it looks in that picture.