Mx Bars On A Trials Bike?

cheesepreetza

has anyone tried this before? i notice most pros in trials now are running a lower, flatter, wider bar than previous years.  

Lower and flatter has been around 1990. Wider has to do with rider preference. Too short, loss of leverage(Same thing as bar risers) Too wide and you might not sneak through the tight spots.

MX bars have a bend for sitting down like a women. :rotfl:

Lower and flatter has been around 1990. Wider has to do with rider preference. Too short, loss of leverage(Same thing as bar risers) Too wide and you might not sneak through the tight spots.

MX bars have a bend for sitting down like a women. :rotfl:

I can't agree with you there. Under correct mx body position, Low mx bars put more weight on the front wheel while braking whilst standing. You may have it confused on the position in the clamps, mx bars are rolled back a bit to help with deflection. 

I have a set of 827 renthals at home on the shelf, they are only 2mm more swept back than the trials 100 bend. By comparing specs on Renthal's site, other than the clamp length that's really the only drastic difference in these two bars.

My guess is a shorter clamp length in a trials bar will have more flex. 

Time to put it to the test!

Edited by cheesepreetza

I am not confused at all. 43 years trials rider, Desert racing was my preferred go fast style. I have worked in the industry anywhere from parts, sales, service. Started at the oldest Yamaha shop in the USA  and also sold trials bikes for many, many years. You are wasting your time. Unless you like sitting.  

• Like 1

Mr Fromage.  

Can you state what the original question is/was.  

Are you asking or telling.  

If you are asking then respect those

with knowledge who are providing you with their perspective.

If you are telling then what is it you are telling us?

Okay mon ami.

Edited by billyt

Billy, If challenging a reply I didn't agree with is disrespectful. What exactly is one respectfully aloud to post?

I was asking if anyone has or currently rides with mx bars on a trials bike. I posted my experience after he posted his. Did not mean to disrespect lineaway.

Edited by cheesepreetza

I totally agree with what you are saying and we should  all respectfully question what answers are posted on here.   

However, Bars on trials bikes have went through many different shapes bends diameters etc through the years.

Those of us that have been around trials for many, many years have seen the changes, maybe ask them what they have seen. 

You did this exactly this in your first post and then it turned in to a money saving question rather than a design/application question. 

Cheers.

• Like 2

I actually had seen this happen on a bike I sold early this year. Sold a 2004 300 Pro. That was the last model pro before the fat bars were standard equipment. The gentleman that bought the bike installed a set of fat bars. He had a knee replacement a few years back, and really just could not start the bike. I took the bike back just to sell it for him. I looked at the bars over and over the couple of months I had it in my garage. They looked good, you could ride it comfortably enough. But I just knew they were not a trials bend. Finally I rode it in a trials. Just enough sweep in them to loose a little leverage. I had my son ride it and he felt the same. Anyway the Renthal bars all cost the same. The only trouble you really have is availability. It`s just easier to click on the net, than actually call and find the right bars. People that are new riders have always tried to put non trials specific parts on there bikes because of cost and availability. Tires is usually the first item a new trials rider buys wrong.     

I went the opposite direction and put trials bars on my Husky. Leaverage difference is night and day.

Granted, the mx bars were cut down, but I have much more control and slower steering and keeps my shoulders in line with the forks.

Biff is right. I'm not paying $30/$40 more just because the bar says TRIALS on them. Can you tell the difference?

bars.jpg

The main thing you need to look out for with MX bars is the amount of width between the bends. Trials bars have a lot more room up at the lever and grip area. MX bars seem to be bigger down by the triple tree clamps. Personally I think that's better for strength but it could just be me. The issue i have run into is when you cut down an MX bar you run the risk of running out of room for your master cylinders to clamp properly. I am using ODI chubs right now cut down about a half inch on each side. 

They look the part and feel good to me.

image_zpstuypmcn6.jpg

IMG_0145_zpsybjplnpl.jpg

--Biff

Its strange, when you go into cloths shop you expect to come out with a jacket that fits, buy a trial bike (or any motorcycle) and you get what the bike comes with whether you are a 7 stone midget or a 20 stone porker.

Find some bars that have a bend, rise and width that suits you and puts nice even pressure across your hands in the normal riding position.

My favourites are painted MX bars with a welded steel brace and good knurling. They are strong and cheap and you can braze plugs on the ends