Jitsie Water Pump Kit Install

oldgrumps

When installing the jitsie water pump aluminum impeller do you still use the metal spacer between the seal and impeller. After reinstalling my seeger ring it just spins....... Ok after the installation I started the bike up, for the first minute i could hear a whirring sound and then it subsided. Opened the water pump back up and discovered that the impeller was making contact with the pump cover. The outer ends of the paddles where grinded down a little and the inside of the cover had some of the grey coating gone. I believe it has stabilized. Is this normal for the Jitsie impeller to break in. Because the coating got rubbed out of the inside of the cover will this lead to corrosion. The bike is a 2015 250.

Old

Edited by oldgrumps

Broke the seeger ring? Can I just use a snap ring from the auto parts store? My plastic impeller looked like it had been chewed up on the blades also. What about corrosion. I'm assuming that the cover is aluminum so it should be ok. I noticed that after I took the cover off the impeller had tightened up on seeger ring problaby from the centrifugal force pushing the impeller outward.

Edited by oldgrumps

Broke the seeger ring? Can I just use a snap ring from the auto parts store? My plastic impeller looked like it had been chewed up on the blades also. What about corrosion. I'm assuming that the cover is aluminum so it should be ok. I noticed that after I took the cover off the impeller had tightened up on seeger ring problaby from the centrifugal force pushing the impeller outward.

Just to make a slight correction cause i see this all the time though its not really a big deal but there is no such thing as a centrifugal force. There is no force that pushes outwards. Its the centripetal force that actually pushes inward toward the center of rotation.

Just to make a slight correction cause i see this all the time though its not really a big deal but there is no such thing as a centrifugal force. There is no force that pushes outwards. Its the centripetal force that actually pushes inward toward the center of rotation.

Of course there is. You have just violated Newton's 3rd law

Hi, I fitted a Jitsie water pump kit to a 2015 Evo last week and had exactly the same issues. I used the shim washer which was fitted behind the original plastic impeller. The bike made a whirring sound for the first few minutes. The engine was run for a few hours, and I then removed the water pump cover. The tips of the Jitsie impeller were slightly polished, and there were mild rubbing marks on the outer water pump cover. I cleaned the impeller, and the housing and re-assembled it using fresh coolant. I also noticed that the drain screw threads protruded into water pump cover, so I shortened it and it now fits flush with the inner surface of the cover. There shouldn't be any corrosion problems using coolant with alloy casings.

Edited by dabba

Thanks dabba,

That answered 98% of my original question. I'm still a little concerned about the seeger ring being real loose. Maybe its fine because with the original plastic impeller it was kind of tight fitting and maybe because the jitsie impeller seems to have a little more lateral play. The ring turns freely on the shaft but if you move the impeller outward on the shaft it does lock it in. Maybe I'll order a new ring just to be sure. After doing some research on the ring its called a seeger grip ring. Its designed to be used on shafts that are not grooved, which is weird because a ours does have a shallow groove. It is the only ring they make that can be reused according to seeger-orbis the manufacturer.

Old

Hi Old, sorry, I forgot to mention that I used a new seeger ring when I installed the impeller. The original one had deformed slightly when I removed it. There was a 1mm difference in the ring gap between the old and new seeger. The new one fits tight on the pump shaft. I also used longer allen screws to hold the outer casing. The Jitsie kit should really include longer screws (and instructions!).