Affordable Trials Bike For A Big Guy

escook

Hey All!  Just joined the site.  Looking for some insight.  I wanted to pass the introduction, and get down to business.  I live in the US, in Colorado.  I am an experienced rider, and been riding 34 of the 37 years I have been alive.  Motocross, Enduro, Trails, etc.  I want to start getting into trials riding.  I am looking for advise on a used bike trials bike for under $2500 or so.  I am 6'3' 280, good shape, but eat too damn much.

Here is my question.  I have found some good late 90's Gas Gas's for $1500 to $2500, but I have heard they are "fragile".  I can ride with finesse, but due to my weight I put a lot of torque on bikes.  Then ad my aggressive nature I put a lot of stress bigger bikes even.  I know that sounds like a contradiction, but that leads me to my question.  What are some of the best built trials bikes from the late 90's and up on a $2500 budget +/-?

Please give me insight on makes, models, and what to look for (condition, flaws, frame stress, etc.) if I find anything to buy?

Thanks!

Eric

The pic is of me on a XR400R, and they are bikes.  I make it look pretty small.

post-21821-0-26518900-1445394171_thumb.jpg

If you're looking at a late 90s Gas Gas then a 321 will be perfect, last of the old motors with the stronger normal gearbox. Pretty much bulletproof & I know of a few guys who kept theirs when they upgraded just for our trials bike only trail rides because they handle the abuse better than the newer bikes & hold a line better up a rocky creek

First of the big bores was the JT350  in 95 from memory & measured 327cc, 96 was called the JTR370 which was either 1mm bigger bore or stroke & about 335cc, they went back to the older size after that which lasted until sometime around 2000

Hope that's of some help

• Like 1

Good solid ,old and cheap do not usually factor in the same equation. Those bikes are getting too old now. Not sure just how long you can get parts, specially a Gasser, since they are bankrupt!

The 2001 or newer Montesa, yea, solid bike, yet trials bikes are more fragile than your XR by design.