How Much For An Ultra Light Bike

atomant

I was playing around designing some variations of trials bikes using lightweight materials and I think it would be possible to produce a 250cc machine with suitable strength below 60Kg in total weight.(Based on using a GasGas engine)

My question is, How much would someone be willing to pay for a bike like this.

:) This is almost, kinda, sorta, the same topic... My 2 mates are Montesa nutters and they can't get over the fact that there is no longer a 2st Mont (lightweight) so they are planning their own. :o

Has anyone any experience ( drawings if poss') of cutting down the frame on a 315.

They've got the frame marked out and don't think I can bear to look when they start cutting :(

it all depends on looks,weight,handling and power. But i would like to see your design and list of what materials are being used. :)

Looks are insignificant

Weight I have already said

Handling - dont know till I built it but I would plan to make the same or similar COG to current designs so should be good.

Power - bit of a naive question as the power to weight ratio would significantly increase if the overall weight decreases

Materials: Titanium, Carbon Fibre, A variety of plastics and composites . Really too early to tell exactly as its just a concept.. I havent built anything as yet..

The idea is to see what people would pay for a bike this light.. then I might just do it.

And I wont be hacking another bike. It would be designed and built from scratch.

Surely there has to be a cut off point where too light is no good, the traction has to come from some where. I'm sure gasgas and other factory brands have looked into this already but if any of them were to produce a bike with as little weight as your concept where would the others be? I think it has a lot to do with sensible advances each year, every manufacturer improves on the previous year just enough to keep selling their latest models.Just my opinion! :)

I'm sure gasgas and other factory brands have looked into this already but if any of them were to produce a bike with as little weight as your concept where would the others be?

To build an Ultra Light bike is gonna cost. Design time & prototyping using expensive materials, it all adds up. Trials bikes are sold to the massess as cheaply as possible. Would the average rider pay 6-10k for a trials bike. I dont think so :) but if a good rider could gain a significant advantage , then maybe they would pay it..

Surely there has to be a cut off point where too light is no good, the traction has to come from some where.

Traction is all relative.. does a spider have problems going vertical up a wall ??

Seems a great idea "AtomAnt". there arn't many one-off trialsbikes around, the only one that you see regularly is that 'Birkett Special' thing, with a TYZ engine. He made that quite a long time ago now and its done about every national trial you can think off and still going.

A really trick 2 stroke mont would be good as someone said. Got me head goin' now Ian! :)

I noticed that Scorpa claim to have made their 4T lighter using a new frame design. It is possible using the software we use to produce a 3D model of an existing bike frame, then run stress analysis to determine places which are 'too' strong and lighten this area to make an overall lighter frame. Making it after would be the tricky bit! although we do use a process of DMLS (Direct Metal Laser Sintering) which is pretty damn cool and can produce some really trick components. but at