New Bike, So Many Choices....

alscott1984

Hi. After getting into trials with a 2001 gasgas txt 250 which subsequently died/knackered piston and barrel I am looking for a newer bike. I am after advice as to what to look out for. I have around £1500 budget. I like the look of the sherco st290 05-07 age. But don't know much about them. Alternatively a 05 gasgas txt pro.

Does anyone have any advice regarding either or usual problems to look out for?

Cheers. Al

After not being on a trials bike for over 25 years I bought a sherco 250 2006 in excellent condition this year as a "starter bike" to see if I liked the modern bikes prior to buying a new one.

Very happy with bike, smooth power delivery excellent starter.

• Like 1

I paid slightly more than £1600 for Bike from a local dealer I know. I wanted a bike that had not had a hard life (over 40's rider), and confidence that bike had been checked throughout, and fully serviced before I got it, and did not want a bike I would spend a lot of time working on. I have not had to buy any parts (other than a plug /filter which were less than £20 total)  as good tyres, new chain, sprockets, grips, plug, fuel filter etc.

I dare say you could buy cheaper on gum tree / ebay / trials central etc, I did look at some online however was slightly nervous they were an unknown quantity.

Not sure how much sherco specific parts actually are, do not believe however any worse than equivalent gas gas / beta etc,  and hopefully I will not find out as having got into trials again, I fancy upgrading next year to a new bike / or an excellent condition 2015 bike. Try Malcolm Rathmell Sports never spoke to them but understand they are very helpful

Best of luck.

• Like 1

Cheers again pal, yeh the confidence from buying from a dealer is worth the extra ££££! As I mentioned my first gasgas died after 3 months so not best pleased and the age of it is making finding parts difficult which may explain my concerns about parts. 

But thanks for sharing your thoughts, very helpful and happy riding!

Sherco parts are slightly cheaper than Gas Gas and A shed load cheaper than Beta.

Beta's are cheaper bikes when new but wear and tear parts like swingarm bushes and linkage bushes are insane, Beta are the best for warranty and dealer back up, So it's get what you pay for.

The cost of keeping an 07 Sherco going will be cheaper than a Beta. Plus the year of Sherco's you are looking at are fairly bomb proof.

• Like 1

Buy the best condition 250 you can find,beta,sherco or gas gas are all good.Wouldnt necessarily go to a dealer,go for a private sale from a rider who knows what maintenance is who can give the right answers to technical questions.Take a knowledgeable mate with you and a wad of notes ..Dont expect perfection at that price but you should get something fine to learn on and sell it on for much the same price.Good luck,dont have to buy the first you see

• Like 4