Moving Over From Downhilling

strugglinon

40 something, lifelong mountain biker, bmxer and had big trail bikes in the past.

Looking at getting into Trials in the North Lakes.

Don't want to spend a fortune as I've two at home under 6

Suppose my question is, what size of bike should I be looking for? 6 feet and 13 stone.

And is there much a club scene up here

near Caldbeck?

Great site by the way!

Cheers

Graeme

• Like 1

Greetings and nice to see not everyone is watching the rubbish on Christmas tv. I recently needed a break from pedalling the mountain bike uphill at 50 so came back to trials, I just missed out on what was described as the perfect newbie bike, a 200 beta and ended up with a 250 sherco. This bike has more than enough power for my 14 stone 6 foot plus, but is still very manageable. I was warned about overbiking with a 300.

Even if I ever move up to the mid route the 250 will be more than enough as I ride with people on 125s who have no problems. Someone may suggest a different experience so I suggest trying to get a ride on a bike off road to see how you manage

In the N East we have at least 1 trial on a week and I'm sure the N West will be the same.

• Like 1

Hey Timdog,

Thanks for the reply, my only trials experience was a TY80 back in the day. Figure that the mountain bike skills will cross over. How much do I really need to spend? I've had the high end mountain bikes, only to come back to a quality hardtail. Not looking to be an "all the gear, no idea".

Graeme

Mate ... Cumberland county mcc trial at Nord Vue , Armathwaite 10 Miles south of Carlisle on New Years Day .

It's on the club web site and events page on here .

Best just come along and have a look ... You might even find someone selling a bike !!!

Cheers

As Always

The Wobbler !

How much to spend is simple, buy the best bike you can afford,or more to the point justify. if you buy brand new and decide it's not for you there's a bigger loss but if you go too old you could spend more on maintenance and fixing someone's old problems. Also depends on how happy you are working on a bike. Plenty of bikes around just a few years old but how it's been serviced and looked after means as much as actual age. Good idea to visit a trial and talk to people, someone may know of a good bike for sale rather than an unknown on an auction site. The classified ads on here will give you an idea of prices

Assuming you are looking for a modern bike, its all personal and down to what you want to do. Modern bike will be easier to ride in many ways but twinshocks have a great following too. Personaly I went modern and it's a world away from my old Bultaco although I keep looking at them and thinking,

Cumberland County MCC is probably the closest for you, if im right the beginner sections start around February time, im a beginner in the club so if you were looking for someone to tag along with then that would be more than welcome, although I am pretty bad!